3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

More Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 02:51 AM
Fd restoration

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed of light
Speaking for myself, I have legitimately CA smogged my v mount equipped FD several times. Now here's the caveat: I retained the factory air box (now a CAI) and used a medium IC; works great, fits and looks stockish--never had anyone question it.

As has been mention, ditch the precat--you do not need it to pass the CA sniffer so long as you have a good main cat and airpump/emissions.
I'm not sure about my v mount choice to look stock enough for visual inspection. Hopefully I won't have to star smog test in the next two yrs because I have a buddy who passes my visual but isn't star certified.

Yes precat will leave my car very soon. No longer an issue and expect to feel a dramatic drop in bay temperature.
Old 09-10-14, 10:50 AM
TANSTAFL

Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts
Until you upgrade your I/C setup, the cheap bastard intake mod and modifying my stock intercooler ducting (blocking off battery, intake, and A/C dryer channels) had a drastic effect reducing my intake air temps.
Old 09-10-14, 11:22 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed of light
Speaking for myself, I have legitimately CA smogged my v mount equipped FD several times. Now here's the caveat: I retained the factory air box (now a CAI) and used a medium IC; works great, fits and looks stockish--never had anyone question it.

As has been mention, ditch the precat--you do not need it to pass the CA sniffer so long as you have a good main cat and airpump/emissions.
Not trying to be rude, but you no you haven't. You had a smog tech that didn't do a proper inspection/didn't know the law/doesn't have his head up his ***. It's dumb but intercooler changes are illegal . Stupid CARB, if it blows clean, it should be legal.

-David Guy
Old 09-12-14, 02:45 AM
Fd restoration

Originally Posted by alexdimen
Until you upgrade your I/C setup, the cheap bastard intake mod and modifying my stock intercooler ducting (blocking off battery, intake, and A/C dryer channels) had a drastic effect reducing my intake air temps.
Yes I will have to do my ic very soon! There are so many options out there
Old 09-13-14, 11:50 AM
Spooling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Respectfully disagree. Aftermarket intercoolers are allowed and can pass STAR.

Originally Posted by dguy
Not trying to be rude, but you no you haven't. You had a smog tech that didn't do a proper inspection/didn't know the law/doesn't have his head up his ***. It's dumb but intercooler changes are illegal . Stupid CARB, if it blows clean, it should be legal.

-David Guy
Old 11-17-14, 01:44 AM
Fd restoration

Anyone know of a low price upgraded intercooler? Like stock placement upgrade. I got my radiator and downpipe now and it's no longer summer so fd is feeling muuuuuch cooler. Just hate this baby intercooler and looking like junk. Just want something bigger and non brand is ok for now until I do what I really want. Thanks
Old 11-17-14, 07:49 AM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 862 Likes on 611 Posts
Arrow

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generati...see-em-910629/
IMO, you should look at Intake, SMIC and Duct together. Not all SMICs will work with a stock airbox and some come with their own duct, some use the stocker. I'm happy with my PFS medium with PFS intake and duct.. I think it's a good value. But there are better ones. If you're really on a budget, I'd recommend an adamc cheap-bastard kit on the stock airbox with something like a Greddy or Blitz SMIC utilizing the OEM duct.