New Member RX-7 Technical Post your first technical questions here, in an easy flame free environment, before jumping into the main technical sections.

double din radio

Old 02-13-12, 12:01 AM
whhuuuuttttt?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA double din radio

so we just bought our first fd and I was wanting to pick up a double din for it.
I'm not very good with audio products.... any suggestions on size and brand ?

I was looking between pioneer, jl audio, and kenwood... but i cant seem to decide.

also im looking for oem body parts, besides online and junk yards any suggestions. I'm on the east coast in VA.
Old 02-15-12, 02:12 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I have always liked the pioneer avic head units. You can pick up an avic n3 for 3-400 bucks if you look hard enough. Now the new 2din head units that are bluetooth and such, are more like a computer, and those things take a long time to "boot up" and respond to commands (about a minute). They also tend to hang and freeze a lot. I had a premier f90-bt head unit and didn't like it, so I got an older d3 instead and love it.

You'll NEVER EVER find an fd in a junk yard, lol. You'll have to use the internet to source any parts you may need for it. Fenders are less than $200 brand new the last I checked, so I would just buy new. Check with Ray at Malloy Mazda in woodbridge va.
Old 02-21-12, 08:43 PM
whhuuuuttttt?

VA

Originally Posted by invinciblerx
I have always liked the pioneer avic head units. You can pick up an avic n3 for 3-400 bucks if you look hard enough. Now the new 2din head units that are bluetooth and such, are more like a computer, and those things take a long time to "boot up" and respond to commands (about a minute). They also tend to hang and freeze a lot. I had a premier f90-bt head unit and didn't like it, so I got an older d3 instead and love it.

You'll NEVER EVER find an fd in a junk yard, lol. You'll have to use the internet to source any parts you may need for it. Fenders are less than $200 brand new the last I checked, so I would just buy new. Check with Ray at Malloy Mazda in woodbridge va.
i bought a pioneer. Its pretty nice. its # avh-pt2400bt .

as far as finding an fd in a junk yard, i have seen one and only one. it was a sad, sad sight. i was mad. but it was most def. stripped down to nothingness and you could see where there was a serious impact on the driver's side.
Old 02-23-12, 09:51 AM

I bought a kenwood for mine but I have no radio stations there is no male to male adapter that works
Old 02-23-12, 02:04 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Not a huge fan of double DIN. However, Clarion is top notch. A little pricey but worth it for all the features and functions.
Old 02-24-12, 10:12 PM

I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my FD, little bit of an older pioneer double din but works great, word of caution however check the depth of the head unit before you purchase because behind where the head unit sits is a metal bracket and the metal bar that runs the length of the dash and that can get in the way if the radio is in too deep.

My D3 barely made it into the space however fit perfectly dimension wise, it has a 7" screen on it and had perfect room for the square molding piece that snaps in around the screen.
Old 02-27-12, 10:32 PM

TN Pioneer AppRadio

Pioneer AppRadio is pretty nice if you own an iPhone. Pretty cheap for a double din but no CD player. Kind of a bummer as I still get CD's from time to time. Check it out as I am in the same boat. I have heard good things about it but it is still pretty new which means it will get better with newer models.

John F.
Nashville
Old 02-29-12, 10:17 PM
Slideways

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive fot a kenwood dnx8120 love it has so many options and ways to customize the entire radio def look into those
Old 03-24-12, 09:25 PM

All the new pioneer radios are very nice and responsive. The BT works well and all of the interfaces are user friendly. Never had any delay problems with my avh4100 or avh4300 and I will be upgrading to the new avh8400 soon. The APP radio only works with certain aps which is a short list at this time, also not that it really matters but JL does not sell head units.
Old 03-26-12, 10:07 AM

Plenty of options to choose from, just do a little research.
Old 03-30-12, 01:49 AM

Pioneer Avic D3 is really good. I have it in 2 of my cars and love it. I have always bought Pioneer and never had issues. Easy to navigate too.
Old 04-02-12, 09:29 AM

My friend has one of the navagation pioneer with the detachable faces its really nice and it works really well
Old 04-02-12, 01:19 PM

Well I mean if you don't have a phone with nav on it, then go ahead and get the double din, pioneer is top notch. But if you can just use your phone, pick up a kenwood excelon w/bluetooth. They run about 250$ after taxes and have great sound control for your speakers. Just no nav, plus, bluetooth works by just turning bluetooth on on your phone and it becomes handsfree with GREAT clarity. Even with my HKS Hi-power exhaust at 4k RPM I can hear the phone no problem
Old 04-02-12, 03:35 PM

I've got a pretty basic JVC doubleDIN in my FD.
Radio, CD, and mp3 (on USB). Doesn't need any more for me, and looks pretty decent.

Old 04-02-12, 04:51 PM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 862 Likes on 611 Posts
I'm old and like simple... though I would pop for the MP3 capability today. Otherwise I've been happy with my single DIN NAKAMICHI unit along with the R1 DIN pocket.
----> https://www.rx7club.com/interior-exterior-audio-26/nakamichi-cd-400-those-who-prefer-oem-look-574519/
Old 04-02-12, 08:42 PM

I've been looking at this one. Cheap, simple, reputable brand.

Not sure if it is any good yet though.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Pod-Cable.html
Old 04-10-12, 10:05 AM

arent these programmed for Japan Frequencies?
Old 04-11-12, 02:16 AM

i gotta say as lame as it is the cheap ebay units come with every thing nav,ipod,blu tooth, dvd and they work ok...500$ and I have 3 of them in my vehicles and when one die or gets stolen it wont bug me much
Old 04-12-12, 02:31 PM

^^ AGREED just ordered a ebay one for 140
Old 04-13-12, 07:48 PM

Put this in my FB...

JVC KW-AVX840; 7" display, removable faceplate, supports iPhone 4 navigation, DVDs, CDs, MP3s, Bluetooth connectivity to your cell phone, HD and SAT radio-ready.

On sale from Best Buy for $250.

Last edited by demongo; 04-13-12 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-15-12, 05:20 AM

pioneer have always been in my top choices. They are decent.
Old 01-02-13, 11:10 PM

I installed a Kenwood DDX419 double Din DVD from Crutchfield. I had to buy the Scosche adapter (OEA-4A) from Crutchfield too and it works fine.

I'm running stock Bose speaker. I replaced all non functioning speakers and amps prior to my new radio install. To do it again, I would put in after market speakers, because the Bose speakers just sound ok with the Kenwood. Its because the Bose are designed to work with the Bose deck at a very low ohm/amp (can't remember which).

It took me a little bit of messing around with the wiring harness to get everything correct. I read the posts on line and there was an issue with the Scosche pin out. I had to move one of the pins (no big deal). I also had to ground one of the wires to allow me to use the DVD when it was out of park.

The fit and look of the Kenwood goes really well with the RX7 interior. I had to cut the small support between the two radio holes to fit the double din. This is the reason when you look up FD3 RX7s on Crutchfield and they don't list double dins as an option. Its because you have to mod your din compartment (takes about 2 minutes using a dremel), but they don't list modified options.
Old 07-25-14, 01:43 AM
jimwww

I just reserved this in store - going to get it tomorrow.
JVC 2-DIN Multimedia Deck (KW-V20BT) : Double DIN Car Decks - Future Shop
Old 07-30-14, 02:10 AM
Can Post Only in New Member Section

Originally Posted by thatjdmchic
so we just bought our first fd and I was wanting to pick up a double din for it.
I'm not very good with audio products.... any suggestions on size and brand ?

I was looking between pioneer, jl audio, and kenwood... but i cant seem to decide.

also im looking for oem body parts, besides online and junk yards any suggestions. I'm on the east coast in VA.
im an audio installer and i would recomend kenwood alpine then pioneer in that order i would get any other brand
Old 08-03-14, 03:14 PM
Hey...Cut it out!

Received 291 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenji
I've got a pretty basic JVC doubleDIN in my FD.
Radio, CD, and mp3 (on USB). Doesn't need any more for me, and looks pretty decent.

I got the EXACT same stereo in my FC