2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

I think I popped it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 08:35 PM
roTAR needz fundZ

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I want to lick the cleanliness lol
Old 04-03-14, 09:32 PM
Mountain Builder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duley, I was almost shaking with excitement taking them out of the box. Everything is absolutely spotless.
Old 04-04-14, 08:40 PM
Sharp Claws

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
they were pretty tore up from those 3mm seals, just be sure to premix heavier and torque the engine tighter this time to seal any possible gaps due to the previous housing cleaning practices. never use any machinery to clean the sides of the housings.

in some cases you can get 2 resurfaces out of housings, you only get one.

i also checked for electrolysis and there appears to be no internal coolant leaks through the plug and exhaust ports so if there was coolant getting into the engine it was coming from elsewhere.

Last edited by RotaryEvolution; 04-04-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 10:36 PM
Mountain Builder

Damn. That's good though. I'm sure if you had found some you'd have let me know. I did notice a little spot around the exhaust port on one of the housings but it's nice and thick there.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the outer coolant seals were great. Still strong and stretchy, no damage. They even returned to their original size and still fit nicely in the grooves after a good, hard stretching. The inners however had splitting all throughout like an old serpentine belt when folded over on themselves and were noticeably fraying apart in between the binds as well as between the three layers. When I went to stretch, there was no pull and they very easily snapped. Not bueno. I'm praying your coolant seals paired with an over-torque and a hefty dose of hylomar will withstand whatever I can throw at them [within reason] well past the 14,000 miles I got from OEM seals.

I'll definitely keep a close eye on premix. I'm looking to see how she runs with 1, 1.5 and 2oz/gal. Standard Pennzoil Premium Plus TCW-3 looks like a good option. What do you guys like to use that you can grab for relatively cheap? I can get a gallon of the aforementioned Pennzoil for about $15. Pennzoil states it's specifically designed for keeping exhaust ports clean, keep spark plugs clean, to prevent piston scuffing [apex chatter?], and sticking rings [or seals/springs?]. What do you guys like to use for premix oil?
Old 04-05-14, 07:53 AM
roTAR needz fundZ

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I've been running wal-mart brand supertech tcw oil for a month or so, seems to be working so far, havent check my plugs yet

Runs about $12 a gallon
Old 04-05-14, 08:05 AM
Mountain Builder

Post in here and let me know. There are definitely some cheap and some high-dollar options but I'd rather keep my high-dollar fluids limited to cooling oil and marine gas. Especially since I live on the beach and it's everywhere.
Old 04-05-14, 08:20 PM
Sharp Claws

i ran the super tech stuff in my car for about 75k miles over about the last 8 years. if i were out racing it i would probably opt for some synthetic motorcycle oil.

whether it does the same job with these soft 3mm seals is to be determined. no one really knows all the factors to why the seals chew up the housings, which is why i say to premix very heavily because friction is usually the real cause and not so much the type of oil.

Last edited by RotaryEvolution; 04-05-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 09:16 PM
Mountain Builder

Makes sense. I reckon you haven't torn down that engine, but I'll bet it runs great too, right Ben? I guess I'll be the test bed. Is it usually simpler to bolt the OMP back up and just add premix to it or to block it off? Mine being an S5, I know I'll have to leave the plugs connected or I'll get limp mode. My choice on what I do with my OMP will be made after a search but I'd really like to do away with as much as I can.

My VDI is another subject on my mind. I want to double check that I'm wired open but how can I be sure? I don't plan to use sleeves unless they are permanently sealed in as I plan to turbo the car in the near[ish] future.
Old 04-05-14, 10:32 PM
Sharp Claws

on the S5 OMP it's easiest to just block off the ports but leave it where it is and premix since that lubricates everything and not just a portion of the apex seal. i haven't torn that particular engine apart yet since it's still in my car but coming out soon.

i'd have to check the VDI, i have one apart so maybe if i remember i will take a picture of how it should be wired open.
Old 04-06-14, 11:02 AM
Mountain Builder

That's what I figured would be easiest. I'll probably remove the lines from the pump as well and plug the holes since they are fragile and store them safely in my shed for future use if need be. Block off plate underneath the pump itself and keep the wires plugged in for an easy and clean setup.

Do I need to keep the vacuum lines hooked up to the VDI still? I have an emissions/ACV/aux port delete, so really how much of that rats nest do I still need? And since the OMP is going now too, have I made it to the point where I can leave out the rats nest?

What do you guys like to use to make an engine bay nice and clean? I thought about a pressure washer, but I'm losing paint in there too and don't want to completely strip it and paint the bay before the whole car is painted. I may do it like that though too because then it's just that much less money to get the rest painted. All my weatherstripping, window trim and everything needs to be replaced so I'm already looking at a hefty bill for paint even if I tear it all apart myself.

Thanks again to everyone who has had input on this thread, especially Ben. In the next few days or so I'm going to begin switching gears and making this a picture-happy build thread.
Old 04-11-14, 07:59 PM
Mountain Builder

I have sifted through build thread after build thread and cannot find any info on replacing the throwout bearing in this transmission. How do I go about doing that? The engine is built and all I need to do is install the new clutch to put it back in.

Do I need to remove the transmission to get the fork out to do this or is there a guru-found trick for this as well? Got me a nice stage 2 Exedy unit.
Old 04-12-14, 02:52 PM
Mountain Builder

BOOYAH

I think I popped it.-forumrunner_20140412_154840.jpg

The way it sits currently is this plus oil feed and pan, and the flywheel is also installed.

Ben, I went to 35ft/lbs on the tension bolts.
I read just a hair's breadth over 0.003" of endplay.
Old 04-12-14, 02:59 PM
Mountain Builder

This got taken of me too. For ***** and giggles.
I think I popped it.-forumrunner_20140412_155857.jpg
Old 04-12-14, 07:10 PM
Sharp Claws

lol looks good

for the throwout bearing you have to remove the fork, pinch the 2 pins in the sides of the fork and rock it off the pivot ball. sometimes i have to dig a finger behind it to release it. once it's off you can slide the old TO off and the new one on. clean the shaft and apply wheel bearing grease to the shaft and inside bore of the throwout bearing before installing it back on. just push it until it snaps in place on the pivot and make sure it slides freely. a dap of grease on each pivot point is also a good idea and will make the clutch feel much more smooth.
Old 04-12-14, 08:38 PM
Mountain Builder

Sounds good. Thanks Ben. Also, your housing work really sets it off too.

I spoke with misterstyx in another thread and he was telling me how difficult it is to mate the engine to the transmission with it in the car. Is it really that difficult to do? I would like to service the transmission but if I don't have to pull it I'd like to save myself the extra work. I have a screw-on pump for changing the fluid in it anyway. I have thought about replacing the pilot bearing too. The seal is iffy. I'll have to look at it more but the bearing had nice clean grease on it when I stuck a finger in there. Should I go through the trouble to replace it?
Old 04-13-14, 08:45 PM
Mountain Builder

Hooookay so I ALMOST had the engine mated tonight. Slid into the clutch disc splines but didn't go into the pilot bearing. I don't think the alignment tool worked so well. I have heard that you have to cut some of the end off to make it perfectly straight. Is this true?
Old 04-14-14, 12:13 PM
Mountain Builder

45 minutes at night < 20 minutes in the light.

I think I popped it.-forumrunner_20140414_131216.jpg
Old 04-14-14, 06:19 PM
Sharp Claws

being able to see what you're doing definitely makes a bit of difference.
Old 04-14-14, 07:06 PM
Mountain Builder

Oh yeah. The first time I tried it, the clutch disc was off centre a hair. I guess I managed to get it straight this time. Last night I got the splines in but no pilot bearing.
Old 04-18-14, 04:25 PM
Mountain Builder

I've been asking around including asking Cam at Pettit and done some searching on this to not much avail. Cam's process sounds great but he has the tools to do it and I don't.

Are there any specific things people do to prep for first startup besides just filling it with oil and coolant and letting it go? Do I need to prime coolant like oil? Is cranking without the CAS plugged in a good way to prime oil? I'm trying to figure everything out before the rest of the engine is all put together which will still be a few days until my LIM gasket and OMP block off playe get here.
Old 04-18-14, 07:53 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 305 Likes on 297 Posts
I all ways crank without cas connected to get oil pressure up first ,then connect cas and fire it up
Old 04-18-14, 08:54 PM
Mountain Builder

But I can dump coolant into the block and fill it until no bubbles? If so, sweeeeeet. I'm so ready to have Stella going again.
Old 04-18-14, 08:56 PM
Mountain Builder

Somebody tell the mods to change the little title under my name to Steeeellaaaaaaaaa! Like Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire.
Old 04-19-14, 06:26 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 305 Likes on 297 Posts
Yes fill up with coolant n start her up with cap off and top up while engine is running
Old 04-19-14, 08:05 AM
Mountain Builder

Brilliant. Should be together and going as soon as my other stuff gets here. I'll probably post a video of it firing off. Thanks WJM!

Quick Reply: I think I popped it.