New Member RX-7 Technical Post your first technical questions here, in an easy flame free environment, before jumping into the main technical sections.

Best fmic for fd ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best fmic for fd ??

what it the best front mount intercooler brand out there
thank
Old 03-06-14, 06:41 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you running the stock twins? You are better off staying with a larger smic.

But to answer your question, Blitz Fimc.
Old 03-07-14, 05:13 AM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 862 Likes on 611 Posts
How will the car be used?
Old 03-10-14, 06:26 AM

it single turbo im running 6266 bb. i think ima gonna go with ETS front mount
thank all for the help
Old 03-10-14, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by RX7Fighter
Are you running the stock twins? You are better off staying with a larger smic.

But to answer your question, Blitz Fimc.
im hearing with some that you have to relocated the battery with the blitz fmic. is that true. im trying to keep my car in stock form as possible.
Old 03-10-14, 08:06 AM
Urban Combat Vet

A FMIC isn't a good choice for a streeted FD... IMO.
They tend to be more expensive to buy, and require more fabrication and plumbing. I think they all require relocating the battery, or at least drastically reducing it's size...something else that can be problematic for a street-driven car. The choice of intakes is usually reduced too.
All FMIC's will require cutting the bumper reinforcement, which compromises crash-worthiness, and those expensive cores are exposed to debris and dumb slow animals. But most of all, they compromise cooling by blocking off the radiator and A/C condenser. These are rotary engines...they don't like that.

Of course they won't impress as much in the high school parking lot, but there are a lot of SMICs available for the FD that provide decent IATs, lower pressure drop, are a lot easier to install and don't have the baggage of a FMIC. And if you're talented and have money, a VMIC is the best choice...IMO.
Old 03-11-14, 12:37 AM

CA

Originally Posted by Sgtblue
A FMIC isn't a good choice for a streeted FD... IMO.
They tend to be more expensive to buy, and require more fabrication and plumbing. I think they all require relocating the battery, or at least drastically reducing it's size...something else that can be problematic for a street-driven car. The choice of intakes is usually reduced too.
All FMIC's will require cutting the bumper reinforcement, which compromises crash-worthiness, and those expensive cores are exposed to debris and dumb slow animals. But most of all, they compromise cooling by blocking off the radiator and A/C condenser. These are rotary engines...they don't like that.

Of course they won't impress as much in the high school parking lot, but there are a lot of SMICs available for the FD that provide decent IATs, lower pressure drop, are a lot easier to install and don't have the baggage of a FMIC. And if you're talented and have money, a VMIC is the best choice...IMO.
what brand vmic would you reccomend?
Old 03-11-14, 07:52 AM
Urban Combat Vet

Never looked into it seriously for my car. Don't think there are any VMIC "kits" out there for the FD. I think a V mount will be almost completely custom. Choose a good core and go from there. You'll need relatively deep pockets and some ability to fabricate.
Old 03-21-14, 12:45 PM
Brap..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vmount kits available:

Rotary extreme (will likely be taking new orders soon)
Defined autoworks
Rotary works
Greddy
HKS
Knightsport
Re-amemiya
??? Dragon
Old 03-21-14, 01:25 PM
Mazzei Formula

Received 143 Likes on 69 Posts
Blitz FMIC.

This front mount may require a little modding. I had already relocated a my battery to the trunk and use a small lithium battery I can't comment on whether or not that is going to be an issue.

However, the intercooler fits right up in the top of the front bumper and the pipes run in a really efficient manner into the top of the end tank, not into the sides/bottom like most kits. Therefore the piping remains very efficient and short with little pressure drop.

I run a Koyo N-Flow behind my Blitz w/ stock fans run 500hp on the street w/ no issues. My temps stay under 200F usually.

No complaints.

I see no significant reason/advantage of a v-mount over my blitz setup.
Old 04-22-14, 02:46 PM

i run the Greddy FMIC kit with the Greddy Airinix intakes and the Koyo N Flo rad. My AC condensor was shot when I got the car so I removed it and capped the lines, I had to all but cutaway the bumper support, and the piping otherwise went on just fine. My temps are always in the safe zone(i also run the FC thermoswitch and upgraded thermostat), and I use the stock FD electric fans. I chose to relocate the battery to the trunk and moved the AST around and bam, good to roll! Hope that helps as an option.

Oh, car is a street FD daily driven, stock twins. I also got the Greddy Elbow to compliment the kit.
Old 04-22-14, 04:14 PM
Martin S.

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
the best fmic is no fmic, just get a nice size smic
Old 04-23-14, 09:45 PM

What is the difference between front mount and stock mount in performance?
Old 04-23-14, 09:52 PM
BRAP PSHHH

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Blitz FMIC hands down. I own one and required me to only relocate the battery which was planned already and fits BEHIND the bumper support bar unlike the Greddy FMIC. 4 inch core and very minimal pressure drop, it kicks *** imo but is very hard to find. I would go Vmount if you cannot locate one of these. A Blitz FMIC is probably the best streetable FMIC you can fine on the market in my opinion. I daily drive my FD in any weather regardless of heat and always stay below 40 degrees Celsius in traffic or low 30 to high 20's on the track. Maybe it is also due to my ducting.
Old 06-16-14, 08:03 AM
9kredline

best fmic for fd??

I just got an arc smic and it does its job well. Would go with blitz if i went from mount from what I've researched.
Old 07-11-14, 07:38 PM

This is news to me about an SMIC being better than an FMIC due to the rotory running hot. Good to know!