1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Starter just wont crank, going crazy here:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter just wont crank, going crazy here:(

Bought an FB a few days ago and am trying to get it running again. There was an alarm preventing it from starting so i removed it. Can anyone verify what the black with red stripe wire from the ignition switch is for? I tried finding it on the wiring diagram in the FSM but theres no black/red? How should the ignition switch be wired so I can make sure this is right first? After doing what i think was the correct wiring for the ignition switch, i tried to crank it but the starter just clicked. Which was an improvement over doing nothing at all before. But no matter what i do i cant get it to crank. I tried the battery from my FD in it, I bought a new starter from autozone (it cranked slowly for like 5 seconds, let go, tried again and it started clicking again). The blk/yellow wire is on the starter solenoid, and the + from the battery IS on the starter correctly. Another question, what is the green with yellow stripe wire for on the starter? Where does that go? Does anyone else have any ideas why it wont crank? btw i am getting 12v at the battery post that bolts onto the starter.
Old 08-13-14, 09:20 PM
Out In the Barn

Received 1,012 Likes on 798 Posts
This wont fix your wiring issue, but just to get it started, you can run a 12 volt source from the battery to the starter solenoid 12v trigger. This might be enough to get the starter to kick. Not sure if your fuel pump will work given it had an alarm wired in and we don't know all the circuits it touched.
Old 08-28-14, 04:43 PM

By the way if anyone ever needs info in the future, I had new battery cables (both positive and ground) by www.ceautoelectric.com for $100. Fixed my problem.
Old 08-29-14, 01:31 AM
84SE-EGI helpy-helperton

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution! Oftentimes people post a problem, get a bunch of feedback and then disappear and nobody ever knows what fixed it!

Glad it was just the cables getting corroded over time. Keep it on the road,
Old 08-30-14, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by LongDuck
Thanks for posting the solution! Oftentimes people post a problem, get a bunch of feedback and then disappear and nobody ever knows what fixed it! Glad it was just the cables getting corroded over time. Keep it on the road,
Exactly!! I hate it because i always end up reading a thread with my exact problem and itll be from like 5 years ago making it impossible to find out what fixed it! Yeah me too! Took a while to find out. 3 different starters, grounds, battery. Finally looked at the cable and someone had spliced/cut it and used electrical tape to put it back together -_-