Old School and Other Rotary Old School and Other Rotary Powered Vehicles including performance modifications and technical support

Old IMSA/SCCA RX2 Racecar Resto

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 04:59 PM
Rx2 > FD

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrewe
So, I get a phone call last week from a friend that runs an RX2 in vintage/SPU down here in Fl. Car is a show stopper, super straight, super clean, super fast. My friend is on the phone as he leaves Sebring telling me his hood just did The Whaleshark impression that I had warned him about. He didn't get to have much fun with his fresh Mandaville 12A P-port.

At about 125mph heading into the hairpin the hood lifted about a foot in the middle. It's not too bad he says, he thinks I might be able to staighten it out.

I pick up the hood and check it out. I cut the inside frame that is bent up at about 30 degrees just outside of the hinges. Did you know there are only four spot welds that hold the skin on the frame? Four welds and a bunch of dots of space age adhesive from the 1970's(that dries out and no longer has any "adhesive" property).

I work the skin a bit with a hammer and dolly and pull the frame out of one of my hoods that was screwed up by the guy I had do some media blasting on them. It lays out perfect(hood was a surviving NOS piece when the car was built) and I made a mold on saturday. I pulled the mold on sunday and did a little prep for the first part.

Next I'm making a mold for some of the under frame because the guy that let me use the hood wants to be able to bolt it on and use hood pins on the back edge only.

Pics to follow, got home late from the shop, didn't have camera with me.

3 years in the making on that hood now huh? I get first dibs of course... lol
Old 07-06-12, 12:21 AM
GET OFF MY LAWN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, second dibs! First dibs go to the guy I got the 'good' hood from. It will be on the track in a couple weeks on his car. I'm making the first hood skin on sat, making the underframe mold tomorrow night.

Don't laugh but my other hood that was warped by the blaster is still leaning against the wall in my neighbor's shop. When I told him that I found a great candidate for a mold he laughed and said, "Don't worry, I'm not heartbroken"
Old 07-18-12, 11:24 PM
OVERKILL is under rated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey John; Hows the duece ?
Old 07-19-12, 12:02 AM
GET OFF MY LAWN

I hung the prototype f-glass hood on it this evening, delivering the part to my friend tomorrow so he can go racing this weekend at Sebring. It bolted right up but it will need a little trimming of the hinges to get it perfectly aligned. It lays just a little too far forward and the body gap at the back is about 1/8 too fat. Over all I'm happy with the results of my first jump away from pure race car body parts. Version 1.2 will fix a couple issues that showed up during the bonding of the skin to the under frame.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the hood on my friend's car tomorrow.
Old 12-11-12, 08:11 PM
japan connection

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates? I would love to see more suspension pics and hear what you have done with the suspension and brakes.
Old 12-13-12, 03:26 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN

The only updates I have are from the hood construction. The duece is still perched on the frame rack while all kinds of other stuff happens in my shop. Three Miatas, 2 RX7's, my Bugeye and now a Triumph Spitfire that is getting a 2.0L Duratec w/ a 5 speed stuffed in it keep me busy. The worst part is only one of the RX7's and one of the Miatas aren't mine.

My name is John and I have too many projects.

Here are some hood shots though!

Name:  996733030_photobucket_128642_.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  996733030_photobucket_128936_.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  216.8 KB

Name:  996733030_photobucket_128937_.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  171.8 KB
Old 12-13-12, 04:25 PM
Rx2 > FD

Looks great!

You have any more shots of the front end? I think I have the same front lip. I'm wondering what it will kook like after i get it on.
Old 12-13-12, 05:18 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN

Here is a shot off the central florida SCCA site called The "Checker". If you want to dig for more, look under photos and then look for events that list 'vintage' as part of the event. Richard Kraus is the owner.

Name:  IMG_9250.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  90.0 KB
Old 12-13-12, 08:43 PM
What Subscription?

Nice good and sweet ride
Old 12-15-12, 03:29 PM
Rx2 > FD

That is the same front lip and rear wing I have! Looks good too! thanks for posting it...

Have you weighed your hood vs. the stock steel hood?
Old 12-15-12, 06:09 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey John--

Landon here, swung by the shop a few months back in the white GMC- Friends w/ Andy the miata/bronco guy

Just saying hey, & glad I stumbled upon your build! We'll have to swing by soon, give me a PM if you need some motivation or something
Old 12-15-12, 08:52 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN

Hey Landon, I remember. Did you and the little lady find a property yet?

sen2two, I didn't build that one as light as I could. The owner has been through the whole 'add more lightness' route on race cars. He won the Runoffs in GT5 a number of years ago and this car is built to be durable and low maintenance. IIRC the stock hood was 29 and mine was mid teens. Just a skin for hood pins could probably be built under 10 pounds.
Old 12-15-12, 09:41 PM

Oh wow, what a great coupe, would love to see it some day
Old 12-16-12, 06:49 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Landon, I remember. Did you and the little lady find a property yet?

sen2two, I didn't build that one as light as I could. The owner has been through the whole 'add more lightness' route on race cars. He won the Runoffs in GT5 a number of years ago and this car is built to be durable and low maintenance. IIRC the stock hood was 29 and mine was mid teens. Just a skin for hood pins could probably be built under 10 pounds.
Hate to stay off topic but yeah we did! Up in Hudson on 2.5 acres, w/ a poll barn & steel building already built. We're closing Jan-15! We'll try & stop by soon!
Old 05-15-14, 03:54 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN

Tease post.. updates soon. New cage, body panels all on. Picked up a friend's race car last month as a driveline donor. Weber carb'd, street port, ceramic, 12A that I built last year for previous owner.
Old 05-19-14, 07:42 PM

Post more Tease Less!!!
Old 05-22-14, 04:28 PM
Rx2 > FD

Let's see it!
Old 08-30-14, 06:59 AM
Luis Rx3 Project

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Any update ?
Old 12-17-14, 05:05 PM

do u know where this rx-3 is??????

does anyone know where the ex-dennis golden rx-3 is?????? the one that ITA15 talked about inthis thread.......on page one....OLD SCHOOL IMSA
Old 12-17-14, 08:06 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN

Can't help ya myself, maybe someone here can though.

As for my project... Shortly after my last post I ruptured my left bicep tendon and I've been very limited on any kind of physical work. Just started being allowed to use my arm for any kind of lifting.

So what is the first thing I do? Move my shop! I moved in with a friend that has a set of tools as awesome as mine but totally different. He builds kilns and has all kinds of thin metal working tools like power shears, breaks, multi-head punching machines, slip roller, CNC mill and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now. I have the same 1500 sqft, its just half of a 3K space now.

I still need to move my lift but it is all taken apart and ready to go. I was able to roll the RX2 to the new space with it still on the frame jig.

This time, I swear there will be updates coming soon.
Old 12-18-14, 11:23 AM
Can Post Only in New Member Section

He still has it, but progress has been slow
Old 12-31-14, 08:40 AM
Luis Rx3 Project

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
FL

Can't help ya myself, maybe someone here can though.

As for my project... Shortly after my last post I ruptured my left bicep tendon and I've been very limited on any kind of physical work. Just started being allowed to use my arm for any kind of lifting.

So what is the first thing I do? Move my shop! I moved in with a friend that has a set of tools as awesome as mine but totally different. He builds kilns and has all kinds of thin metal working tools like power shears, breaks, multi-head punching machines, slip roller, CNC mill and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now. I have the same 1500 sqft, its just half of a 3K space now.

I still need to move my lift but it is all taken apart and ready to go. I was able to roll the RX2 to the new space with it still on the frame jig.

This time, I swear there will be updates coming soon.
Glad to see updates will be coming
Old 01-28-21, 09:46 AM
Rotard Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So bringing back an old thread. I’ve recently bought 2 former rx2 race cars. One looks a lot like one posted by Jgrewe. Might be a team mate? The other is Jim Downing’s original rx2. That one is in rough shape but the #32 car is hopefully going to get worked on and be back on the track in the next year or two. Just wondering if anyone had any history on it? And does anyone have contact info for Jgrewe? Not been logged on the forum for a while. I tried a pm to him in case he got an alert, but no such luck.

Old 01-28-21, 06:24 PM
6 speed in an rx3

Received 1,425 Likes on 995 Posts
Very cool!! lets see some pics of the rx3 back there?? looks like one I may have owned at one time? cant see enough of it to tell
Old 01-28-21, 08:18 PM
Rotard Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks. I’m pretty excited to get working on it. The rx3 was raced in IMSA RS by Chuck Ulinski back in the day. I bought it as part of the package but a good friend of mine really wanted to race it so he’s now the owner and will start the restoration shortly. He’s on Facebook as Group 56 Racing if you want to check it out. The red and white rx3 was bought by another local guy who already has a pair of rx3 race cars and added a third one. Just so happened we bought cars in the same area at the same time so they managed to ship together.

Quick Reply: Old IMSA/SCCA RX2 Racecar Resto