New Member RX-7 Technical Post your first technical questions here, in an easy flame free environment, before jumping into the main technical sections.

Auto to Manual Conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA Auto to Manual Conversion.

Hey guys im having trouble find a clean fd in socal around $12-15k(Granada hills in socal). I found a couple of auto's and was wondering how much it would be to convert to manual and if it makes financial sense.

Please help guys. I really want to get a fd that will pass as smog on its own as it maybe my daily driver for a couple months..
Old 08-29-14, 11:53 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
as for Buying a car,that is up to you and will not be done in this section,so I will ask ahead of time that you try to keep the Questions on a technical nature.
(sorry had to say that..don't shoot the messenger!)
Cost wise to convert the Auto to manual varies and honestly depends on how good a buyer you are at procuring parts.That and how god you are as a mechanic.

Average is about a couple grand.
Old 09-01-14, 02:29 PM
Hey...Cut it out!

Received 295 Likes on 191 Posts
Most parts can be found at reasonable prices in the classifieds, but the one sticking point I've consistently seen is the clutch and brake pedals fetching a pretty penny. Take a look in the 3rd Gen Section and it'll give you a better idea. I'm pretty sure there's a few threads detailing the process. Overall, it's not too different from a FC, just a couple things here and there such as the FD's PowerPlant Frame in place of the FC's Transmission Crossmember.

One other notable thing I'd like to mention is that if you intend to use the FD's auto diff, you'll have to replace the driveshaft flange with one from a manual. This is a tad on the complicated side to explain, so I'd like to encourage you to search the 3rd Gen section for "companion flange swap"
Old 09-01-14, 03:21 PM
BRAP BRAP BANG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this may help you out.
https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-gen-arch...t-swap-161482/
Originally Posted by cover8
good tranny = $500

shifter = $200
4:10 diff = $500
or just 5 speed companion plate (recommended) = $100
drive shaft = $75
wiring harness used(recommended) = $250
pedals = $100
clutch (new dude) 6-puck ceramic w/ HD pressure plate = $500
stock flywheel = $75
miscellaneous bolts (like bell housing bolts) = $50
manual ecu = $100
new fluid (neo) = $75
boot leather = $50
**** = $100 oem
instrument cluster = $200 used low miles
lightened flywheel (what I did) = $500
clutch master = $70
Clutch slave = $50
SS clutch line = $25
clutch pipes= $12

*TOTAL: $2932 (at least)

350 rwhp 5-speed Fd: PRICELESS!

Great some folks claim did it for under 1k...whatever!!! this is very rare...and I would not put a used clutch etc since you will not want to do this again!

*The above price does not include getting GANKED by other members on the Forum.

This is a huge undertaking...do not underestimate it...if you are buying I would avoid this altogether and get a 5speed.
as for making financial sense it never really does make financial sense to buy an auto to convert to manual since it they will be the same price usually anyway, so might as well start off with a manual. unless the car is at the very bottom of its worth and can't be worth any less(which the fd is not)LOL, or its outrageously common like a civic.