3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

More Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 04:31 AM
Fd restoration

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Cooling

I just got my FD running after 3 years of ownership. I noticed it runs significantly hotter than my turbo II I had years ago. I'm not digging the bay heat I can feel by standing next to the car outside of it so I want to make sure this motor I put in it will last as long as possible. This 100% stock (California smogging setup) minus apexi intakes. I've thought of a few ways to run cooler which I will be doing in chronological order shortly such as:

Deleting precat and running 3" DP (heatwrapped) and HFC

Headlight air duct

Upgraded 3 row radiator

Upgraded v-mount intercooler

Efini y-pipe

Bov

Vented CF hood

The order is not listed by the most impact in cooling but mainly the cost and what I already have obtained recently to swap out.

Any help on other things that'll help me keep cooler and extend my engine life is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-30-14, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other common cooling mods include: FC thermoswitch, 2nd oil cooler, foam ducting around radiator sides

One thing that is not mentioned often as a cooling mod is a catback system. I think it is because most people do that early in the process anyway. I did my catback later and it does aid in engine cooling. I have seen this mentioned in a big cooling thread by one of the older members in the FAQ/archives, can't remember the author, maybe Fritz Flynn. It just doesn't get mentioned in cooling discussions all that often.
Old 08-31-14, 10:27 AM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Most of that radiant heat from popping the hood is from the stock precat. Get a decent downpipe and get it ceramic coated. Heat wrap is a pain in the *** and cheesy, a good ceramic coat with outlast the car (that stuff is BULLETPROOF) and is a night and day change in temps under the hood.

Start with that before you go any further. I don't think you'll have issues with the smog police with a downpipe, but if you do, get a JDM stock downpipe. No cat in it, but it's ultra stock looking.

Dale
Old 08-31-14, 10:33 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Another good mod is the remedy water pump, run it with the stock pulley. this pump does well.
Old 08-31-14, 10:25 PM
Fd restoration

Awesome great info guys thanks for dropping the info. I have my fujistsubo cb already so ill be good there. I was considering ceramic coating but wasn't sure of it bring worth while. Seems to be since YouTube and other recommend it. I'm doing it!

Wp I will look into as well! What's a thermos witch? I've hear about deleting the AST and using FC thermos witch but what's the upgrade besides avoiding a plastic AST that can explode or crack?
Old 08-31-14, 10:54 PM
Fd restoration

Originally Posted by DaleClark
Most of that radiant heat from popping the hood is from the stock precat. Get a decent downpipe and get it ceramic coated. Heat wrap is a pain in the *** and cheesy, a good ceramic coat with outlast the car (that stuff is BULLETPROOF) and is a night and day change in temps under the hood.

Start with that before you go any further. I don't think you'll have issues with the smog police with a downpipe, but if you do, get a JDM stock downpipe. No cat in it, but it's ultra stock looking.

Dale
What's the coating product name you've used?
Old 09-01-14, 02:34 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by djAngel
Awesome great info guys thanks for dropping the info. I have my fujistsubo cb already so ill be good there. I was considering ceramic coating but wasn't sure of it bring worth while. Seems to be since YouTube and other recommend it. I'm doing it!

Wp I will look into as well! What's a thermos witch? I've hear about deleting the AST and using FC thermos witch but what's the upgrade besides avoiding a plastic AST that can explode or crack?
By 'cb' you mean cat-back? that means you're still running a stock downpipe with pre cat unless you've already gone to a downpipe.
Old 09-01-14, 11:30 AM
needs more track time

Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts
As Dale said, replace the stock pre-cat with a good aftermarket downpipe like the Bonez from RX7.com.

From there, I'd jump right to the v-mount radiator + intercooler setup and the thermo switch. The v-mount was by far the best mod I have ever made to get the car to run and behave consistently. The Rotary extreme v-mount setup is by far the best out there that I have personally seen in person and held in my two hands - vs read about on a forum.
Old 09-01-14, 02:37 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonPride
Other common cooling mods include: FC thermoswitch, 2nd oil cooler, foam ducting around radiator sides

One thing that is not mentioned often as a cooling mod is a catback system. I think it is because most people do that early in the process anyway. I did my catback later and it does aid in engine cooling. I have seen this mentioned in a big cooling thread by one of the older members in the FAQ/archives, can't remember the author, maybe Fritz Flynn. It just doesn't get mentioned in cooling discussions all that often.
highlited if you don't already have one.
Old 09-01-14, 03:36 PM
Drive to Live

catback exhaust brings more cooling? what would straight exhaust do?
Old 09-05-14, 04:18 PM
Fd restoration

My fd has stock precat and stock California cat and some dumb cat back for now that looks close to stock but isn't. It's very quiet as well so it's well muffled. I have all my exhaust components already to run 3" from dp to the tip. Yes cb is catback.

I wish I could afford a second oil cooler but for now I'm rocking touring hard lol
Old 09-05-14, 04:23 PM
Fd restoration

You guys know of a good intercooler v mount that's a good price? I'm not worried about brands right now since my fd fund isn't so high right now. Too many babies and house renovations are digging deep
Old 09-05-14, 05:13 PM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 862 Likes on 611 Posts
I.... I've thought of a few ways to run cooler which I will be doing in chronological order shortly such as:

Deleting precat and running 3" DP (heatwrapped) and HFC
Headlight air duct
Upgraded 3 row radiator
Upgraded v-mount intercooler
Efini y-pipe
Bov
Vented CF hood
If money's tight, save it on the vented heat light cover and BOV. They won't help cooling or performance. The efini 'Y' pipe won't do much for cooling either. But it does flow marginally better and eliminates a trouble-prone coupler.
And assuming you're currently still running the OEM SMIC, you'll probably end up needing a different intake and a boost controller with the 'Y' pipe and V-mount and decent intake.
Old 09-05-14, 07:14 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

My fd has stock precat and stock California cat and some dumb cat back for now that looks close to stock but isn't. It's very quiet as well so it's well muffled. I have all my exhaust components already to run 3" from dp to the tip. Yes cb is catback.

I wish I could afford a second oil cooler but for now I'm rocking touring hard lol
You need to get rid of your pre-cat. Hell, I have an HKS downpipe Im never going to use if you need to find one cheap, I'm in California as well.

-David Guy
Old 09-05-14, 10:47 PM
Fd restoration

I was thinking of getting the v mount and radiator soon along with a fcd. Anyone has experience with a fcd on an fd?
Old 09-06-14, 12:00 PM
Rotard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran a Koyo radiator, front mount intercooler, a/c condenser and an aftermarket downpipe in 90/100* conditions for a year without ever having a heating issue. I now charged over to a Power FC, FC thermoswitch, removed a/c and have never seen above 89* Celsius in the car... Don't need crazy vents & holes to keep your car cool.
Old 09-06-14, 12:09 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I was thinking of getting the v mount and radiator soon along with a fcd. Anyone has experience with a fcd on an fd?
Dude, just listen to what people are saying, don't start buying random crap .
Old 09-07-14, 04:40 AM
Fd restoration

Originally Posted by dguy
Dude, just listen to what people are saying, don't start buying random crap .
It's not random. I simply think id be hitting fuel cut because of a major exhaust change and easier flowing system. At least my FC did. Nothing to worry about in an fd? I will be getting the radiator and v mount like people are saying. And I already bought hi heat coating for my dp and be putting it on once my stainless ties come in for my wrap.
Old 09-07-14, 08:28 AM
Cheap Bastard

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Do you think you will be able to smog your car after you go with a v-mount?
Old 09-07-14, 01:43 PM
Fd restoration

Originally Posted by adam c
No but I'm keeping all my factory parts to switch over when the time comes again
Old 09-07-14, 03:03 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

If you're looking to make more than ~12 psi buy some sort of standalone. This isn't an FC, piggybacks are nothing but headaches on a 3rd gen.

-David Guy
Old 09-07-14, 06:26 PM
Urban Combat Vet

Received 862 Likes on 611 Posts
No but I'm keeping all my factory parts to switch over when the time comes again
From a V mount back to stock...along with everything else?
Old 09-07-14, 06:45 PM
Form follows function

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by adam c
Speaking for myself, I have legitimately CA smogged my v mount equipped FD several times. Now here's the caveat: I retained the factory air box (now a CAI) and used a medium IC; works great, fits and looks stockish--never had anyone question it.

As has been mention, ditch the precat--you do not need it to pass the CA sniffer so long as you have a good main cat and airpump/emissions.
Old 09-08-14, 02:46 AM
Fd restoration

Originally Posted by Sgtblue
From a V mount back to stock...along with everything else?
Yes. I've always done that just for smog and back to Normal right after it passes
Old 09-08-14, 02:47 AM
Fd restoration

Originally Posted by dguy
If you're looking to make more than ~12 psi buy some sort of standalone. This isn't an FC, piggybacks are nothing but headaches on a 3rd gen.

-David Guy
Thanks I'll look into it. 👍

Quick Reply: More Cooling