Other Engine Conversions - non V-8 Discussion of non-rotary engines, exc V-8's, in a car originally powered by a Rotary Engine.

???rotary Miata??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???rotary Miata??

FRIENDS OF MINE WERE HAVING A DISCUSSION ABOUT WHEATHER A ROTARY WILL FIT IN A 90-03 MIATA. I DID READ THAT IF THE RX-8 IS A SUCCESS THAT MAZDA MIGHT BRING BACK THE COSMO. MAZDA WILL SLAP THE RENISIS IN THE MIATA PLATFORM. MY ARGUMENT IS THAT ITS POSSIBLE & MY FRIEND STATED NO WAY.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A ROTARY MIATA?

IS IT POSSIBLE TO PUT A ROTARY IN A MIATA?

IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF ONE IS THERE A LINK?

NEED SOMEONE TO SETTLE THIS. SO ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFULL
Old 06-18-03, 03:00 PM

yes its possible.
Old 06-27-03, 01:34 PM
i say what i want

www.rotarymiata.com

my friends miata had a piston say hello to a valve. i was trying to get him to do the conversion, but he didnt want to take on the project, so we are putting another miata motor in it.
Old 06-30-03, 11:04 PM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
http://www.miata.net/sport/daytona/
Old 07-20-05, 12:44 AM

Talking

hell ya its possible man.. we are getting rdy to drop a twin turbo rotary from third gen rx7 into my miata.... dude.. look at this

www.v8miata.com
www.ls1miata.com

If a damn vette engine can fit in a miata without having to push back the firewall what makes you think u cant just drop a rotary???? same with a 302...

a 350 vs rotary ... interesting... i cant afford a ls1 so said **** it.. i have a rotary mecanic who gets twinturbo rotary engines... for 1500$ and he has a rx3 that does 8 secs in the quarter rediculous?
Old 07-20-05, 12:58 AM
RLC

Originally Posted by JDMNUT
FRIENDS OF MINE WERE HAVING A DISCUSSION ABOUT WHEATHER A ROTARY WILL FIT IN A 90-03 MIATA. I DID READ THAT IF THE RX-8 IS A SUCCESS THAT MAZDA MIGHT BRING BACK THE COSMO. MAZDA WILL SLAP THE RENISIS IN THE MIATA PLATFORM. MY ARGUMENT IS THAT ITS POSSIBLE & MY FRIEND STATED NO WAY.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A ROTARY MIATA?

IS IT POSSIBLE TO PUT A ROTARY IN A MIATA?

IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF ONE IS THERE A LINK?

NEED SOMEONE TO SETTLE THIS. SO ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFULL

I have done it! It was easy. stock subframe is modified for the T2 I did.
Trans is used, but input shaft is cut back and rotary bell housing is used
on the Miata trans. I will dig up some pics and send them to you.
PM me with your email.
Chris Greene
Wolf EMS
Old 03-07-06, 04:08 AM

Old 03-11-06, 07:21 AM

13B/Miata

I have done this conversion also , will be glad to share the experience. MX
Old 03-13-06, 01:32 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Like this :https://www.rx7club.com/a-149/fs-socal-widebody-showcar-rotary-miata-13b-webber-ssr-recaros-etc-516972/
Old 06-05-08, 09:06 AM

13b-rew rotary single turbo widebody miata.

Here is a car i've been working on for about 3 years now and finally got it done this past month where i took it to a large auto show in Chicago. The rotary converion seems to be popluar but not many people do it so i thought it put it up here to show one of the few and far between rotary converisions that are done and if any one has questions just msg me. you can pm me or im quite easier reached at my email info@compositeenvisions.com I (i mean me or me/w friends) have done nearly all the work ourselves. From applying suede on the dash to creating the carbon fiber panels from scratch (raw fabric and resin). I should beable to answer any questions.

The motor is a 13b-rew turbo rotary from a 3rd gen rx7. The motor was rebuilt to withstand 29lbs of boost. The entire miata was pretty much stripped clean of any miata mechanical parts and were replaced with 3rd gen rx7 parts. The transmission, rear diff, brakes, hubs, axles, suspension, steering, front and rear subframes, wireharness, pedals, gauges and even the windshield wiper motor is from an rx7. Basically anything that is mechanical on the car is upgraded to rx7 and just the shell of the miata remains.

The amount of work was incredible... the engine sits down and back..thus the shifter lever is moved back 3 inches..which makes it not fit. The tranny tunnel had to be cut out and also a fiberglass console made to accomodate the new shifter location.....and thats just the beginning. lol. nothing on the car fit from the start. Anything that is miata had to be custom fabbed and anything purchased for an rx7 had to be fabbed to fit since the miata is smaller... custom wire harness conversions to run the oem heater box off the rx7 wiring.. and the list goes on... I can help answer any questions anyone has.

Here is a video of the car and dyno

[/url]Mazda Miata Rotary 13b-rew widebody conversion dyn

a small write up of it is done here.

http://compositeenvisions.com/index...sored_show_cars

there are a few pictures on here but there are more things left out than what are showed. The underbody of the car was covered in carbon fiber sheeting from front to rear. I can also take photos of the car if asked. Visit the video above and click the photos link. There are many more photos on the streetfire website as well.

the car put down 366rwhp/290lbs on the dyno. The car was on a conservative tune to prevent any risk of detonation, under about 16/17lbs of boost while it will be tuned next time at roughly 22-23lbs and also higher octane fuel. Looking to get around 450whp at the next dyno run. Ive always wanted a car that was scary to drive and this is pretty damn scary fast. lol.
Attached Thumbnails ???rotary Miata??-aec_sized.jpg   ???rotary Miata??-aed_sized.jpg   ???rotary Miata??-aee_sized.jpg   ???rotary Miata??-n575940197_2996370_344.jpg   ???rotary Miata??-rotary-miata-rx7-13b-conversion.jpg  

Old 06-28-08, 03:39 PM
The Freshmaker

i've also done this swap recently.

i'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old 04-05-09, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any pics of subframe mods? i am doing one right now in my garage, and have decided to mod subframe a bit to make pan fit better and to make room for turbo...i have my ideas, but some pics can help me get more ideas..
Old 04-06-09, 09:48 PM
The Freshmaker

i just modified the oil pan instead of the subframe.
Old 05-02-09, 10:36 AM
You don't gn0me me.

I'm going to do this swap too. I'm having trouble deciding what I'm going to do for the transmission though. My miata is an 02 with the 6 speed. I don't remember who I talked to but I was told the miata 6 speed and the RX-8 6 speed were basically the same transmission. With this in mind I'm thinking I'd like to attempt swapping bell housings.

For those that have used the RX-7 transmission, did you have to make transmission mounts and stiffen the frame? Or is there a way to retain the use of the PPF?

For those that swapped bell housings, did the input shaft require modifications? Is this something I should leave up to someone else?

I've never had the chance to poke around under an RX-7. If anyone has pics of the underside or transmission I could look at so I can get a better idea of how they are put together that would be awesome.
Old 05-02-09, 11:49 AM

Its not the cheapest or a high power swap but I've always liked this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmr-0XE02c
Old 05-18-09, 08:43 PM
Can Post Only in New Member Section

wiring advice

Originally Posted by mx-57
I have done this conversion also , will be glad to share the experience. MX
I could use some advice as to the wiring. Swapping JDM T2, a 91 T2 harness and a N340 ecu into a 90 miata. Please give an extensive breakdown how you did you wiring.
Old 05-18-09, 08:44 PM
Can Post Only in New Member Section

Also anyone else who wired a rotary miata, please advise.
Old 06-11-09, 01:56 AM

Miata engine in an rx7

I know I'm going to hear about it but I need some options...

here is a link to one of my races from this year. Black and Silver #64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmox_ScWUdM
couldn't quite get hooked up off of turn 4 to make the pass on that Prelude...

I race in a 4 cylinder stock car class with my '89 RX7 and for now I'm still able to run a rotary. It has to be stock per rules and N/A and I've got it up to 166rwhp but they are going to take the rotary away and I'll have to build a new car OR put a Mazda 4cylinder engine in it. Per the weight rules, I'd benefit most from a larger displacement engine max. 2400cc.

I don't know if anyone has info on swaps or not or could provide some links or anything but it would be a help. Atleast with a piston engine I'm allowed to port and polish, throw cams at it, bump compression and do what ever. They are just scared of the rotary???

Last edited by Fozzybeardude; 06-11-09 at 02:00 AM. Reason: details...