2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

effects of a bad egr valve?

Old 10-08-03, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
effects of a bad egr valve?

hey I have a 87 gxl and was wondering what the effects of a bad egr valve could be. I am getting about 8 mpg, a loss of power, and a stuttering/lurching in first gear. could all of these be because of a bad egr? I had it tested and its leaking alot of vaccume. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 10-08-03, 08:28 AM

Yes those are all signs of a bad egr valve. Did you just get the egr valve tested or the whole engine because those are also signs of a "small" vacuum leak(wich is basically what happens when your egr valve is stuck open). To replace it your self you need 10 & 12mm sockets(I think thats all),pliers(unless you have screw on clamps for water hoses), new egr valve, new egr valve gasket. and a new intake manifold gasket. If you have the tools parts should be aprox. $80. Take your time and makesure EVERYTHING is connected right(especally vacuum hoses). Have fun.
Old 10-08-03, 08:32 AM

Oh and don't forget to RELIEVE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE first. You can get at the fuel pump by lifting the carpet in the hatch and unscrewing the pannel on the drivers side, then disconnect the wiring harness while car is running. Trust me gasoline in the eyes sucks!!!
Old 10-08-03, 09:44 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 13bgxl
Yes those are all signs of a bad egr valve. Did you just get the egr valve tested or the whole engine because those are also signs of a "small" vacuum leak(wich is basically what happens when your egr valve is stuck open). To replace it your self you need 10 & 12mm sockets(I think thats all),pliers(unless you have screw on clamps for water hoses), new egr valve, new egr valve gasket. and a new intake manifold gasket. If you have the tools parts should be aprox. $80. Take your time and makesure EVERYTHING is connected right(especally vacuum hoses). Have fun.
$80 bucks??? Where the hell are you getting parts from??? Last time I priced out an EGR valve from the dealer is was close to $260 bucks just for the valve.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! Remove the EGR valve and block it off. You don't need it and it's just a source for vac leaks. Also, don't get a used one because they are usually just as bad as the one you are removing.
Old 10-08-03, 09:49 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MATT6688: A bad EGR Valve is just a big intake leak. It will cause a lumpy idle, hard starts, stalling...

As for bad gas mileage and the "Lurching", you'll probably have to look elsewhere. If your getting 8 MPG, I'd do a tune up... new spark plugs, check the plug wires, new O2 sensor, check for exhaust blockage (IE: Clogged cats), and a new air filter.
Old 10-09-03, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by wozzoom
$80 bucks??? Where the hell are you getting parts from??? Last time I priced out an EGR valve from the dealer is was close to $260 bucks just for the valve.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! Remove the EGR valve and block it off. You don't need it and it's just a source for vac leaks. Also, don't get a used one because they are usually just as bad as the one you are removing.
Advance Auto Parts. Aftermarket and rebuilds. The only time I buy from the dealer is if I can't find the part anywhere else. Dealers may have the "best" parts but are way to overpriced for me.
Yes I removed my EGR too. I just thought he might want to keep the emmissions, that's all.