Detailing and Restoration For information on detailing or restoring your rotary look here.

Detsol HD Degreaser

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 12:59 PM
Hooray For Boobies!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detsol HD Degreaser

My friend works for a small car lot and he swears by this stuff. So I took my car down to him in hopes of removing some of my thicker brake dust deposits on my chrome rims without major amounts of elbow grease.

Well he failed to tell me how to use it and I sprayed it on all my rims first. The car was in the sun and the stuff kind of dried on the rims. Now the chrome dishes have a foggy layer on them and I’m having trouble getting it off.

How would you clean that up or what would you use to bring the chrome back?

I’ve tried the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish/Cleaner and it sort of works, but not too well.

Help please, they are now a huge eye sore.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-29-05, 01:10 PM
Planning my come back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try never dull, but I don't think it will come back to the result you want.
Old 07-29-05, 01:30 PM
Stabbed by a pen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^

That happened to my moms mustang, when my cousin sprayed oven cleaner (hoping to break through the dust) on my moms wheels. He left them in the sun, and it came out with a foggy layer on the chrome. I've tried everything, if you happen to get something to work. Please post up.
Old 07-29-05, 02:03 PM
REW'd FB

Sorry Joe, I can't help you out in your current situation other than to tell you to get them re-chromed.

I can give you a little advice for the furure though. When I worked for a detail shop way back we used an acid that worked great. If there was ever a heavy deposit of bugs on the front chrome grills or like your situation brake dust on the front rims. With one spray and a very small amount of elbow grease the dust would come right off. I can't recall the name of the product. I think that I might have a small amount of the product left in my garage. If you want to bring your third gen to the next izzys meet we can give it a shot. I don't use it much since it is not good for the aluminum rims that are on my SE.

Good luck,

~Z
Old 07-29-05, 02:10 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

im guessing that your wheels are not chrome... they are actually polished aluminum...

try to use mother's mag/aluminum polish.

everytime i clean my wheels with a good degreaser, it comes out foggy
Old 07-29-05, 02:26 PM
THE ONE. THE ONLY!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah. turtle wax isn't the best. i'd try mothers first. but code blue has a kick *** polishing stuff. forgot what it was. on real crome i used to use mothers and steel wool, that worked great for crapy rusty stuff.
Old 07-29-05, 03:33 PM
Hooray For Boobies!!!

Originally Posted by cmartinp28
im guessing that your wheels are not chrome... they are actually polished aluminum...
You're correct.
I have the Blitz Type 03 silver rims and the clear coated dish is the foggy part.

Originally Posted by z-beater
I can't recall the name of the product. I think that I might have a small amount of the product left in my garage. If you want to bring your third gen to the next izzys meet we can give it a shot.
~Z
If I haven't un-fogged them by then, I'll take you up on that offer.

I'll try the Mother's Polish with more elbow grease. I'll buy some of that on the way home.

I'll get back to guys.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by x605p747R1; 07-29-05 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:21 PM
REW'd FB

Scratch my offer...If it is aluminum then you do not want the stuff that I have anywhere near those rims. Sorry... Have you tried power tools...buffing higher RPM's can cause damge if you are not careful but if done right can be way more effective and a lot less time consuming. I have a variable speed buffer and a pad if you need to borrow one.

~Z
Old 08-01-05, 11:28 AM
Hooray For Boobies!!!

Ok, Mother Aluminum Mag Polish didn't work. I took the car to a detail shop and one of the detailers said I "burned" the clear coat and it would have to be buffed off and re-clear coated.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-06-10, 09:04 PM
93 rx7 efini RHD

i would try blue magic i used it on my cold air intake and rims and it works really well! im on mt third bottle