2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Super Loud exhaust, will glass packs help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 08:10 PM
zZzZzZzZzZz..............

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super Loud exhaust, will glass packs help???

I have a RB header/Presilencer w/ CS catback and its SUPPPPERRRRR LOOUUDD!!!!

Ive beeen hearing some stuff about glass packs or something. How does these glass packs work to quiet down the exhaust note and where do you put them/how do you install them?

Does this reduce any power??

Thanks
Old 01-25-06, 08:13 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
you will melt glass packs..they are no good for rotarys..the exhaust temp is much higher than a regular piston engine..Do Not Waste Your Money..
Old 01-25-06, 08:24 PM
Tear you apart

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RevUp13b
I have a RB header/Presilencer w/ CS catback and its SUPPPPERRRRR LOOUUDD!!!!

Ive beeen hearing some stuff about glass packs or something. How does these glass packs work to quiet down the exhaust note and where do you put them/how do you install them?

Does this reduce any power??

Thanks
Sell the CS and buy a Borla cat-back, its 11lbs heavier.
Old 01-25-06, 09:12 PM
southern style

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah a little, not a whole lot.... i have a full straight pipe (pretty much) megan racing exhuast and it was too loud so i got a glasspack welded in. the first time you drive it after putting the glasspack on it will seem quiet as hell, then when you get used to it from driving it all the time it will seem just as loud as it once was and youll want to quiet it down again.... hell there only $22 at your local autp parts store so its defenatly worth it to quiet it down some
Old 01-25-06, 09:15 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matts86fc3s
the first time you drive it after putting the glasspack on it will seem quiet as hell, then when you get used to it from driving it all the time it will seem just as loud as it once was and youll want to quiet it down again...
Thats because you melted out the insides of the glasspack. If you want to quite it down, do it right and get RB catbacks or Borlas.
Old 01-25-06, 09:16 PM
Law Breaker

you need to use stainless steel packed cans
Old 01-25-06, 09:21 PM
Rotary Freak

my car has had glass packs since i bought it, they sound deep and overall great! i've had it for 1.5 yrs and put about 30k miles on it and have heard NO sound deterioration.
Its an N/A if that matters
Old 01-26-06, 10:12 PM
southern style

it is a stainless steel pack muffler that i have... none of the "glasspacks" are actually glass anymore becuase poeple used to squirt the water hose down there exhuast when it was hot to blow the glass out so it woulod be louder and still look legal with muffler casings... none of the so called "glasspacks" sold today are acutally glass-packed. there all wool-packed. thats like with my old ford truck i had. i was running open headers for a while and that **** was too loud so i put glass packs on and i was like hell yeah its nice and queit... well like a week later i got used to the sound and it was loud as hell again (although it was loud all along i was just used to it being much louder) get what im saying???? its like when you have been driving with your radio turned all the way up and then you turn it down halfway and its really queit to you, but say a freind gets in the car.. hell be like damn dude turn it down its too loud... but it wont be that loud to you bacuase you were used to it being a whole lot louder... thats what im saying. so no i did not blow out the "glass" in my muffler
Old 01-26-06, 10:28 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Glass packs

Save up for RB's mufflers, they sound good and add HP. Glass packs are a waste of money.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-27-06, 10:10 AM
DON'T PANIC

I love my glass packs, they do away with the usual import drone and sound more like a traditional sports car. They make the car sound a lot meaner.
Old 01-27-06, 10:46 AM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
most glass packs life on a rotary can be measured in hours and sometime minutes.

When they are burnt out (usually within the first 10 hours or so) they will be just slightly quieter than the system was before they were installed as the side wall perfs will still lower the sound a little, but not much.

Glass packs are a waste of money and time.

If you are convinced you want to go that route get either high temp ceramic packed or stainless packed as they tend to last longer. These wull be more in the $30 to $60 range.

But conventional glass packs (like the $15 Cherry Bomb muffler) will burn out within a couple of hours.
Old 01-27-06, 10:56 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just buy a magnaflow SS or Borla SS oval and weld it in where your cat or glasspack is now and its done. Sound changes from "hondaish" to what it should sound like.
Old 01-27-06, 12:01 PM
Rotary $ > AMG $

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
The Bönez Superflo exhaust on my 90 vert has a 'presilencer' ahead of the cat. I run the Superflow through the 'Y' back to two 22" turbo mufflers I think it sounds fantastic. Deep and mellow. Pretty subdued on the highway.

The presilencer looks for all the world like a glass-pack. I have had 2 different exhaust guys tell me that it is a glass pack. I cut it out when replacing the catalytic converter this summer, but the exhaust sounded harsh and raspy. Inside, it looks like a glasspack. I put it back in and am again satisfied with the sound.

It probably is not a glasspack, it is probably made with stainless steel packing, cause it is not burning out. Rotary Performance should know how to make this work.

When I got the car it had no mufflers, just the Bonez Superflow system. At 3800 rpm, it made my ears bleed. At 8000 rpm, it would make the neighbors' cat sterile.

I think there is a place for this type of muffler as a presilencer in the RX7 exhaust, provided you can get one that will not burn out. Obviously, it will not be a glasspacked muffler but a more durable stainless packed version of the same type.
Old 01-27-06, 12:10 PM
The Silver Bullet

i have a presilencer to a gutted cat and out to two Bomex muffelers. i aboslutely love the deep throaty sound it gives off. i still have the reactive manifold but maybe you should be looking to get a presilcener or the RB cat back
Old 01-27-06, 03:22 PM
Rotary $ > AMG $

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by matts86fc3s
it is a stainless steel pack muffler that i have... none of the "glasspacks" are actually glass anymore becuase poeple used to squirt the water hose down there exhuast when it was hot to blow the glass out so it woulod be louder and still look legal with muffler casings... none of the so called "glasspacks" sold today are acutally glass-packed. there all wool-packed.
Yours may not be glass packed but...

A quick look at Summit Racing, most of the glasspaks are in fact glass packed

"free-flowing, perforated center tubes surrounded by two-stage fiberglass packing"

"Our steel glasspack mufflers combine a louvered center tube with fiberglass packing to produce that powerful, distinctive glasspack sound."

Even some stainless steel mufflers:
"Internal Construction: Glass-wrap perforated tube"

And that wool packing? It's rock wool. They melt rock and spin it, just like they melt sand and spin it to make the glass fibers. Same process different begininning material. And thus you could reasonably call fiberglass 'sand-wool'.

Ain't marketing grand?