2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors will not come off, any tricks?

Old 02-20-02, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotors will not come off, any tricks?

Mines a turbo so its got discs all around wihch need to be turned. Its got 55,000 miles on it (87), but of course its a 15 year old car. Anyway, I got the calipers off and the screws that hold the rotors on but I cannot get the rotors off. I sprayed them with Croyal and WD-40 and let it suck. Was using a rubber mallet but what I thought was rust debris coming off was actually pieces of the hammer. They have not moved at all yet when I hit it (not to hard, don't want to bend them) the whole assembley moves. Is there any tricks to getting these off?
Old 02-20-02, 12:51 AM
Super Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a 5 lb. sledge and smack it near the hub.
Old 02-20-02, 12:57 AM
Has been.. hangin' around

No no no,

Take a bolt that will fit in the other threaded hole, and just tighten. The rotor will pop out, no problem. I forget the thread of the bolt, I want to say M6x1.0 but not certain.

PaulC
Old 02-20-02, 01:01 AM
Super Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the screws are the same thread. Be sure you have the right size driver, those things strip like nothing. I still smack it with a hammer to help loosen it up, and relieve my anger
Old 02-20-02, 01:19 AM

THanks, I read the screw trick about the rear but the fronts do not have the other holes (probably why the book only said that on the rears).
Old 02-20-02, 01:24 AM

discs all the way around? noooooooo...thats unheard of

sledgehammer
Old 02-20-02, 01:39 AM
Super Raterhater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sledge or a smaller hammer if you prefer the gentler route!
Old 02-20-02, 02:05 AM
Has been.. hangin' around

Sorry Felix, I had to drill mine out, so I grabbed my bolt bucket.

PaulC
Old 02-20-02, 07:28 AM

Man I got the same problem except I stripped a bolt. Just gunna have to take it to a shop to do it.
Old 02-20-02, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a North east car, and I had to pull the hub and take it to 2 machine shops. The first shop's press wouldn't even budge it. I guess the aluminum in the hub reacts with the steel in the rotors to corrode them together. PITA

When I reassembled them, I put a small amount of antisieze between the rotor and the hub to keep it from corroding together again.
Old 02-20-02, 08:34 AM

What i did was i got a longer bolt the same thread as the caliper bolt (the big one) adn I jsut ran it against the back of the rotor and slowly pressed it off. Put a piece of wood between the bolt and the rotor to avoid digging up the surface of teh rotor.
Old 02-20-02, 09:18 AM
SCCA Rookie

whatever you do make sure you don't ruin any threads that are on the hub or bolts or whatever.. you don't want to have to replace your whole hub, or change a stud.

I would make a trip out to the local auto parts store and buy myself some rust breaker (screw WD-40), that should help a little bit. If you can get access to some sort of (reverse) puller, that'd be great.. thread it on the studs, then have the puller go to the back side of the rotor and compress (so it'll push on the hub while pulling on the rotor).. then you can just break it loose with that, or even put a good amount of force on it with the puller, and hit it with a mallet or hammer repeatedly until it breaks loose (probably will try to go flying off if it's under lots of force and what not..)
Old 02-20-02, 09:42 AM
Nissan ownz me

Originally posted by Mark S
I had a North east car, and I had to pull the hub and take it to 2 machine shops. The first shop's press wouldn't even budge it. I guess the aluminum in the hub reacts with the steel in the rotors to corrode them together. PITA

When I reassembled them, I put a small amount of antisieze between the rotor and the hub to keep it from corroding together again.

Yeah its actually called oxidation,and it happened 2 me also.i think what the guy did was just take the whole assembly off,hub,rotor,etc. Placed it in a press and pressed it out,very slowly.It's definately not something u want breaking on u!!
Old 02-20-02, 09:57 AM
Driven a turbo FB lately?

Anyone try a hammer? Works pretty good for me
Old 02-20-02, 09:58 AM

Never thought of using the caliper mount threads. I was going to take the whole hub off but I tried to pry the hub cap off with a small screw driver and the tip bent. Can you hit it pretty hard without hurting anything?
Old 02-20-02, 03:21 PM
SEMI-PRO

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
They make Hammers Called Zero Blunt hammers. they are made from Fiberglass or some plastic material. Wont harm wheels or brake rotors but will get them off.
Old 02-21-02, 01:20 PM

Try a "grandaddy pry bar" w/ like a 4 ft handle, works pretty good.

Search this Thread