1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler

Old 09-11-06, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler

For anyone wanting to add the above on a limited budget, with access to a hacksaw, welder and tub of body filler.....

Wanted to add front air dam and rear spoiler to my first gen. Didnt really see anything affordable I liked so a quick trip to the wreckers and with a bit of work got an older Integra rear spoiler to fit - $25 and about half a days work. For the front used the rubber thing that comes as stock as a template and fabricated the air dam from a $20 sheet of steel. Took a weekend and plenty of welding rods. Am fairly pleased with the result

Haven't posted pictures b4 so hope they appear below
Attached Thumbnails DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler-rear.jpg   DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler-front.jpg  
Old 09-11-06, 07:06 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you post some more pics of the airdam, it looks very...interesting. i like it though.
Old 09-12-06, 04:59 AM
Ricer

Can we get a front/side shot of the spoiler? Looks like it fits pretty decent. I love junkyards lol
Old 09-12-06, 06:19 AM
The Shadetree Project

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good job on the front end, that's all im going to say...
Old 09-12-06, 07:19 AM

Hi all

Will post more pics of the front end

Get the message about the rear...lol....but honestly it looks pretty good in the flesh

More pics soon
Old 09-12-06, 08:25 AM
kiwi from downunder..

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice one
btw car looks sexy black
Old 09-12-06, 09:45 AM
Rotary Freak

dont get me wrong, the rear spoiler doesnt look bad by any means, its just not my cup of tea. but you definitaly deserve props for your fabrication skills. those parts look like they belong on the car.
Old 09-12-06, 10:22 AM

k - more pics

the front air dam took quite a bit of patience to get right and it is held on with lugs at the top that bolt through the holes where the stock rubber thing goes (so its completely removable) - its about 2" deep, with a 2" lip and 1" cut out in the middle to let air flow over the sump (can let anyone have exact measurements if they want). used high density draft excluder to fill the inevitable gaps where it meets the body - also stops any rubbing of the paint

don't know if its my imagination or not but it really seems to make the car more stable on the highway - i have an 80km trip to work every day and it just seems to sit there at speed better than it did

have also included another picture or the rear spoiler....had to remove and fill the antenna hole and drill 5 holes for the spoiler bolts - very carefully....

p.s. how do you compress jpegs to reduce their size - my solution is to cut a piece off the picture out but there must be a better way?
Attached Thumbnails DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler-mazdafront2.jpg   DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler-mazdarear2.jpg   DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler-mazdafront3.jpg  
Old 09-12-06, 10:24 AM

thx perfect circle
Old 09-12-06, 10:56 AM

good work but not my style..i make fiberglass parts all the time try using that its really fun to mess with...if you have any questions about it ask me..i know that body filler gets kinda heavy....keep it light and durable with some fiberglass..i have a design for a few front lips, side skirts,hoods,headlight covers,and wings im creating just for 1st gen 7's ..im going to try to be a rx7club.com sponsor after i make a web site for the parts
Old 09-12-06, 11:45 AM
king of randomness

it is creative but like others said not my thing, the spoiler makes it look like a mk3 supra...which is cool. The only thing with the spoiler that i noticed is the sides aren't sitting flush but noone would notice really. I know which teg you got it off of so i know how it's suppose to sit but it still looks good don't get me wrong. A for effort and originality

do you use fiberglass mat or cloth? Fiberglass is very simple to do i know some people go ghetto and use like cloth from walmart...then they have that mat stuff where it's all pushed together fibers, which works good with some things but i prefer a couple layers or fiberglass cloth sorry for the thread jack
Old 09-12-06, 12:05 PM
Rotary Freak

you can resize the pics if you have picture editing software, which im sure you do, since you got the pics from your camera to you compy. anyway, just open the edit picture tab, and you should be able to find resize as one of the options, if not press f1 and it will bring up a help menu and you should be able to search through the programs task and find it.

also, the car probably is more stable on he highway, the stock airdam is an inferior design, as it creates lift at higher speed instead of downforce.
Old 09-12-06, 01:06 PM

Some thoughts on FibreGlass

Thx all for your replies and interest

Some thoughts on fibreglass

I used to work in the boat building business is the UK and you could get several different weights of FG - all woven sheets

This began with tissue - which is just like a paper tissue - very light and ideal for small applications with really tight corners where you needed a really pliable glass - but its not very strong

At the heavier end 2oz FG is about a millimetre thick, pretty stiff and very strong.

From memory there were weights inbetween

One additional thing that was useful was a clear/resinous type body filler with chopped strands of glass in it - stronger than normal filler but it needs a normal filler over the top to get a smooth surface - bits of the chopped glass always stick out the top

I am sure you can get all these at a yacht supplies place - really makes jobs easier and produces better results if you use the right type of FG
Old 09-15-06, 03:15 AM
The Shadetree Project

rear wing looks alot better in that pic. As far as your front lip if it was parallel with the ground it would be more effective. Great job though. That's what I was going to do before I got my IMSA front bumper.
Old 09-15-06, 10:58 AM
Rotary Freak

do you mean perpendicular to the ground? like straight up and down from the bumper? cause i dont see how its not parallel.
Old 09-15-06, 11:04 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the rear spoiler
Old 09-15-06, 07:39 PM

Nice work...
Old 09-15-06, 07:55 PM
1st gens only

I would be interested in something like that if you produced them.

Mainly because it is removable, it doesnt need to be paint matched, and it keeps all the original lines of the car. Not to mention its functional.

-Greg
Old 09-15-06, 09:11 PM
The Shadetree Project

Originally Posted by perfect_circle
do you mean perpendicular to the ground? like straight up and down from the bumper? cause i dont see how its not parallel.
you see now grasshoppa?
Attached Thumbnails DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-15-06, 09:22 PM
Rotary Freak

oh okay, i get it now. i didnt think you would confuse the two, being an autocad master. i just was unclear on what part you were talking about.
Old 09-16-06, 02:02 AM
The Shadetree Project

Autocad? That was MSPaint brotha!! I havent touched ACad in years. I miss it though.
Old 09-16-06, 07:53 AM

Location: Huntersville, NC and occasionally back in Freeport, NY
Parallel, not parallel... NEH! If you ever carry out this aero project further, that center section could provide a good tunneling effect for a diffuser. Besides, it adds a personalizing touch. I'm impressed, way to go!
Old 09-16-06, 08:35 AM

LOVE the rear spoiler!! Looks better than the long pointy style IMO. How much modding did that take to make it fit?
Old 09-16-06, 09:18 AM
Dom
callin' tokyo

To resize a picture use MS Paint. Select 'Image' then 'Stretch/Skew'.
Old 09-16-06, 09:49 AM
ERIC

looks really cool!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Front Air Dam and Rear Spoiler