1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

How to shoot flames

Old 11-19-07, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to shoot flames

Hey what are the keys to shooting flames? Ive got a full exhaust thats 2" piping and i cant shoot any flames
Old 11-19-07, 07:37 PM

Remove your emmisions components. Rats nest, Airpump etc...
Old 11-19-07, 07:40 PM
Torqueless Wonder

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh lord.... dont tell me we got ricers....
The following users liked this post:
lemcmanus (04-16-20)
Old 11-19-07, 07:44 PM

ooo no im far from a ricer. I would like to just burn a few peoples bumpers
Old 11-19-07, 07:47 PM
7-less

You're referring to the backfires. That's different. You want to shoot flames, get a flamethrower kit from AutoLoc. You're wanting backfires. Easily done with 12As.
Old 11-19-07, 07:50 PM

lol yea i want the backfire. But im not sure on how to run the setup to do it. My firend has a 88 Na rx7 with a Hks high power exhaust and no cats and he can just be driving down the road and have a nice lil flamage going on. And hes not really "Backfiring" Theirs no loud pop and then fire he just out pops a flame. Its pretty cool.
Old 11-19-07, 07:56 PM
7-less

Go on youtube, type in RX-7 and backfire, you'll see all kinds of "backfires". But, that's what it's called, whether there's a popping noise or not.

Most often a backfire is the result of an air leak in the exhaust system. For a moment when you up shift and often when you let off the gas, there is a temorary "over rich" condition with too much gas in the rotor chambers. This blows into the exhaust and if there is oxygen (air leak) then it explodes in the hot exhaust pipe. Without the air leak, it is cooled enough not to explode by the time it reaches the atmosphere in a tight exhaust. <---- This was a copied answer from Ask.com on how backfires happen because I'm so damn tired I couldn't think up the right way to word it out of my own brain.

I'm tired. I'm going to bed.
Old 11-19-07, 07:57 PM

Time to drill a hole the the piping
Old 11-19-07, 08:01 PM
7-less

I believe it's also in how your carb is setup, along with removing the emission items.
Old 11-19-07, 08:15 PM
I need a new user title

Here's one way to get a very loud backfire and some flamage on command:

1. Get a straight-through exhaust with a header.

2. Remove all emissions.

3. Tune your carb rich.

4. This part is mostly technique. Start by coasting downhill in gear at 3500 RPM or so and shut off the ignition. Wait a couple of seconds, and then switch it back on. It may take a couple of tries, but you should get a loud boom and some flames depending on your setup. With a little practice, you should be able to do it on level ground or even uphill. Try varying the RPM, or the delay before turning the ignition back on, or giving it a little gas, see what works best.

Tailgaters hate me.
Old 11-19-07, 08:18 PM
MMM Bacon to face!

Mechanical secondaries followed by shifts or letting off the throttle rapidly plus a leaky exhaust has me shooting flames like no other. Also great amounts of fun to turn the car off and letting the engine free wheel. It's a bit louder than shooting off an unsilenced .50 cal 2 feet away, and with a larger flame front.
Old 11-19-07, 08:20 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

i got an 82 with all stock working emissions and smog pump, just a header and 2 1/4 pipe to a magnaflow and if i take it up to 6k rpm's, hold it there then pump the seccondaries a few times then let off it shoots a couple feet out the back. (i have mech secondaries)
Old 11-19-07, 08:29 PM
FB+FC=F-ME

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EFI or carbed,perfect or poor running,rotaries will shoot flames,usually on decel or between shifts.Call it backfiring or not,its all the same thing......excess fuel entering the exhaust system.
The trick is deleting any direct obstructions to the exhaust flow.That means all the catalytic converters and any muffler with a baffled,convoluted interior.The downside is that combining no cats and straight through mufflers,makes for a LOUD rotary.You choose between flame throwing hooliganism or fully functional hearing........
Old 11-19-07, 08:48 PM
Brap, Brap, Ole!

Originally Posted by steve84GS TII
EFI or carbed,perfect or poor running,rotaries will shoot flames,usually on decel or between shifts.Call it backfiring or not,its all the same thing......excess fuel entering the exhaust system.
The trick is deleting any direct obstructions to the exhaust flow.That means all the catalytic converters and any muffler with a baffled,convoluted interior.The downside is that combining no cats and straight through mufflers,makes for a LOUD rotary.You choose between flame throwing hooliganism or fully functional hearing........
Exactly and well put
Old 11-19-07, 08:52 PM

This guy could be my friend. HAHA> where kgray when u want him.
Old 11-19-07, 09:47 PM
domokun!

i was just wondering how to do this.
lol...
Old 11-19-07, 09:51 PM

put a seatbelt on
Old 11-20-07, 03:58 PM
7-less

Originally Posted by steve84GS TII
I think the only time I got close to a couple backfire pops was when I was running open header (true open header: removed the pre-cats) and ran it hard. Otherwise, with my exhaust on (cat and muffler and pipe in place of pre-cats) I have yet to hear a backfire. I guess because of the cat and muffler.
Old 11-20-07, 09:15 PM
FB+FC=F-ME

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even with a straight through RB muffler,my single Bonez cat eats up all my flame.
I know they are there too......what with the streetport,glowing hot turbo and 800cc secondary injectors dropping fuel like there is no tommorow.But still,never even one little flame makes it to the tailpipe.
Old 11-21-07, 12:27 AM
Lapping = Fapping

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
The shoddy old exhaust on my red REPU could shoot flames large enough to light up trees in front of me at night. All straight through Rotary engineering glasspacks.

One time my brother was following me down a hill and I lit him up a few times. When we got to the bottom he informed me that my truck had a serious backfiring problem. I told him it's not a problem.
Old 11-21-07, 04:31 AM

next time u turn ur car of after uve given it a bit of a run is hold ur foot flat 2 the floor and once its over 3.5 turn it off

u must have a nice toasty exhaust for this 2 work with flames

everytime i turn mine off it makes a little pop even without the rev

but with the rev

did it on my mates property one night at his party

must have had a meter long flame out the back
Old 11-21-07, 10:30 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

oddly enough, my dang honda backfires more then my fb. I think it is because I have a nice exaust leak though.

Never had my FB backfire, and I have all the emissions gone, cats gone and a RB header. Guess the stock muffler keeps it under control.
Old 11-21-07, 10:52 AM
Wrkn Toyota, Rootn Wankel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a propane tank in your hatch, run a line to your exhuast and a sparker. When you rev it lights! That should work right?
Old 11-21-07, 11:05 AM
Say hello to Mr.Wankel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with my 1st 12a i had a RB header to two presilencers and an ebay muffler. that was all hat was done to the car. it would back fire like a ****! it became a spectacle to my friends. it would shoot out flames that were about 1-2'. i never had to do any of that shutting off your car BS. al you have to do is stay hard on the throttle for a bit and let off. if you want to do it while sitting still just hold the revs up for a few seconds(not high, like 3K) then rev it up and totally remove your foot off the throttle. i used to do that all the time.

that being said, my GSL i just had wouldnt backfire AT ALL. it had a straight through exhaust set up, no emissions, ugraded fuel pump, FPR, upgraded ignition, etc etc. i dont think it would do it due to the fact i had to tuned more towards lean and my ignition set up would burn the fuel a lot better.

so, get a straight through exhaust, a shitty ignition set up(heck, just disconnect your leading ignitor), make sure you have some fuel in the carb, and rev the hell out of it and let off.

once this gets boring, look to move on to bigger and better things.
Old 11-21-07, 03:16 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/hyper...sp?category=25

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to shoot flames