1st Gen General Discussion The place for non-technical discussion about 1st Gen RX-7s or if there's no better place for your topic

Labor cost for clutch install?

Old 08-03-08, 10:24 PM
Too many vehicles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labor cost for clutch install?

Let me start by saying Doh!. I bought this 7 knowing the throw out bearing would need replacing, due to chattering and such. I figured I'd drive it for a while, get used to the idea of once again having an RX-7. Anyhoo, I did some power shifting (it's a sports car, right?) after getting it home and cleaning it up, and then lost the use of the clutch. I can struggle it into first or second gear, enough to limp home. So the drivetrain is good, except for clutch disengagement. I am getting too old and sore to get under vehicles anymore, so want to pay a pro to install a new clutch and pressure plate kit, with throw out and pilot bearings, etc, if he deems that will correct the problem. Also have him toss in the 6 puck disc while he is at it.

Does anyone know what I can expect to pay in labor for the install if I provide the parts?

ps, might as well add, my 9 year old sone and I were smiling ear to ear up until we limped home.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 08-04-08, 12:36 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have my crystal ball out so I'll have to guess,lol.

You have to call shops in your area and first ask them if they would do the job if you supplied the parts.

Most shops will not because they have to give a warranty and also they have to make money off the parts. That's how they make profit and keep the doors open.

What shops charge is based on their shop rate per hour and what the book says it takes hour wise to perform the job.

Example. If the books states that it takes 4.5 hours to R$R the clutch and their rate is say $60.00 an hour then it would be $270.00 for the labor.

Then their are added things like removal of the flywheel, the resurfacing of the flywheel and the replacement of the pilot bearing all being extra.

I know that I am getting detailed in this explanation but all members need to know that we (members) cannot tell you what it is going to cost.

You have to contact the shops and get different estimates.:-)
Old 08-04-08, 05:17 AM
Too many vehicles

Originally Posted by Rx-7Doctor
I don't have my crystal ball out so I'll have to guess,lol.

You have to call shops in your area and first ask them if they would do the job if you supplied the parts.

Most shops will not because they have to give a warranty and also they have to make money off the parts. That's how they make profit and keep the doors open.

What shops charge is based on their shop rate per hour and what the book says it takes hour wise to perform the job.

Example. If the books states that it takes 4.5 hours to R$R the clutch and their rate is say $60.00 an hour then it would be $270.00 for the labor.

Then their are added things like removal of the flywheel, the resurfacing of the flywheel and the replacement of the pilot bearing all being extra.

I know that I am getting detailed in this explanation but all members need to know that we (members) cannot tell you what it is going to cost.

You have to contact the shops and get different estimates.:-)
Understood. Just trying to "brace myself" for the cost. I'll call around and talk to some businesses. Thanks for the response. Dave
Old 08-04-08, 12:47 PM
Too many vehicles

Answer to how much is a clutch install - $450 labor and $140 parts. So, about $600. Biting bullet now.
Old 08-04-08, 04:28 PM
One Luv "Till The End"

yup thats about right don't take it to a stealership there going to take you for every nickle and dime you got...But look at paying $400-700...

Do you not have the space or time or the know how to do it yourself? this alone would save you alot of money in the long wrong, and the job it's self is pretty easy, just takes some time...
Old 08-04-08, 06:48 PM
Too many vehicles

Originally Posted by teddyrx2
yup thats about right don't take it to a stealership there going to take you for every nickle and dime you got...But look at paying $400-700...

Do you not have the space or time or the know how to do it yourself? this alone would save you alot of money in the long wrong, and the job it's self is pretty easy, just takes some time...
I don't have the space, but that has never stopped me....I don't have much time, have one full time and two part time jobs.....I have the know how. I have been rebuilding 4 x 4's for years now. Currently have a '73 Scout II and a '62 Scout 80, built a ****** Jeep with small block chevy, etc. Seriously, my back hurts often, shoulder is strained.

My plan is to sell the '62 Scout to pay for the Mazda, and open up parking in the garage. After that, I can see doing the work myself. Might restore it to some degree, eventually replace the motor when needed.

I will never use a stealership, the smaller, established shops are preferrable. Don't get me started on the stealerships. Estimates of $700 to fix my wife's Jeep, I fixed it with a $3 can of throttle body cleaner, for example.

Last edited by Dave Meyers; 08-04-08 at 06:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-05-08, 10:05 PM
Hookt UP

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got quoted today for my s4 TII. $400 for labor. I told him i already had the clutch( oem replacement off ebay). Same thing happened to me today. Lost all pressure in my clutch pedal after putting off replacing the release bearing. Never pays to procrastinate
Old 08-05-08, 10:21 PM
Too many vehicles

Originally Posted by J.MurdaFCs3
I just got quoted today for my s4 TII. $400 for labor. I told him i already had the clutch( oem replacement off ebay). Same thing happened to me today. Lost all pressure in my clutch pedal after putting off replacing the release bearing. Never pays to procrastinate
I got mine back from the shop. I am loving this little car. It really zips, feels good with the new clutch. I supplied the clutch, they installed it, and new slave cyl. The old clutch had grenaded, and the pilot bushing was destroyed and non-existent, "eons ago". I am not thrilled about payoing a pro, but, my back feels good after the repair, and it did not take as long as if I had done it.
Old 08-06-08, 04:44 PM
I'm in rotary heaven!

Just do what my friends do to me, get a case of beer, go over to your mechanicly inclined friends house, start talking about cars and after he had a few beers mention the clutch. You might get lucky and get your clutch changed that night!

please remember to bring the clutch kit with you....
Old 08-06-08, 06:37 PM
Too many vehicles

Originally Posted by quasar
Just do what my friends do to me, get a case of beer, go over to your mechanicly inclined friends house, start talking about cars and after he had a few beers mention the clutch. You might get lucky and get your clutch changed that night!

please remember to bring the clutch kit with you....
Yes, but....I am the mechanically inclined friend who works on people's cars.
Old 08-06-08, 07:58 PM
Hookt UP

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
dave Meyers...what'd it cost for you to have it fixed. and dont the clutch kits come with a slave cyl?? or is that seperate? I figure i might as well replace EVERYTHING that has to do with the clutch. yesterday mine went out 100% and almost had me stranded till i muscled it into first and creeped home. Pedal had no pressure and then would stick to the ground. I no longer think this is simply the release bearing. atleast not anymore. sounded like a line(hose) broke or blew....