1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

1979 rx7 choke problem!!

Old 08-07-09, 12:40 AM
1.3 liter piston eater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WA 1979 rx7 choke problem!!

ok so i bought this rx7 out of this guys yard for 100 and i was told that it was running and i didnt believe him one bit but i still tried starting it. and to my amazment it fired pretty quick for sitting for 9 months.

so i got it to start and drive but i have have to drive while holding the choke or else the car just dies. i have no idea what it could be. does anyone know what to do???? oh and btw it reaks like gas whille running, would that be caused by the choke? pleease help me
Old 08-07-09, 01:55 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 242 Likes on 162 Posts
a '79 for 100 is a nice steal.

dumb question: How long did you drive it?

The choke **** has to stay pulled until the car warms up enough, then it's supposed to automatically pull in once that happens. It's electrically controlled, but mine was broken so I had to manually pull the **** or stick a nickel behind the ****.

But if that's not the case, perhaps the engine is not getting fuel because of that? Do a search on Seafoam, that could clean out the fuel system.
Old 08-07-09, 02:26 AM

When I took mine out of mothballs it did the same thing. Replace the fuel lines (yes, all of them.) and the fuel filter. Rebuidling the carb wouldn't hurt, and check for vac. leaks.

Seafoam...
Old 08-07-09, 04:11 AM
Happy Rotoring!

Received 375 Likes on 245 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you have some carburation issues (what can you expect for $100) which you are maunally getting by with holding the choke open. I'd start with pulling the carb and going through it. Relpacing the fuel filter, looking for Vacume leaks and such. One thing at a time. If you smell gas, it must be leaking gas somewhere.
Old 08-07-09, 09:52 AM
1st-Class Engine Janitor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Holding the choke out artificially riches the mixture & opens the throttle slightly; if you have to choke the car to keep it running after it reaches operating temperature, you are probably running too lean and possibly without sufficient idle airflow.

This could be caused by anything from a fuel restriction (pluged line, plugeed filter, kinked tubing) to a gummed up or malfing carb, large vacuum leak... the list is long.

About all you know at this point is that it is a fuel system problem. Start with cleaning up/out all fuel system components and making sure all is as it should be.
Old 08-07-09, 12:33 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

i hust discovered a new problem, i can close that valve that the choke controls, i can close it by hand and it has no affect on the engine but if i just put the chock in normaly it dies. and the car is definatly getting gas, i changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and some hoses.
Old 08-07-09, 12:34 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

oh and its still on its first tank of gas...and has additives like heat and fuel system cleaner
Old 08-07-09, 12:35 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

WA

Originally Posted by j_tso
a '79 for 100 is a nice steal.

dumb question: How long did you drive it?

The choke **** has to stay pulled until the car warms up enough, then it's supposed to automatically pull in once that happens. It's electrically controlled, but mine was broken so I had to manually pull the **** or stick a nickel behind the ****.

But if that's not the case, perhaps the engine is not getting fuel because of that? Do a search on Seafoam, that could clean out the fuel system.
haha i drove it for about a half hour but its hard to drive with only an ebrake
Old 08-07-09, 06:12 PM
I have a rotary addiction

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe your idle speed screw has been tampered with and is set too low? Try bumping the idle up a couple hundred RPM. If that doesn't smooth things out then you need a new fuel pump and a good old fuel system cleaning.
Old 08-07-09, 07:11 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

Originally Posted by NCross
Maybe your idle speed screw has been tampered with and is set too low? Try bumping the idle up a couple hundred RPM. If that doesn't smooth things out then you need a new fuel pump and a good old fuel system cleaning.
the first thing i bought for it is fuel pump and filter so imma try that idle speed screw thing cuz that actually seems like it could be it
Old 08-07-09, 07:35 PM
I have a rotary addiction

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
The accelerator pump could be out on the carb.
Old 08-07-09, 08:42 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

how to i check to see if the accelorator pump broke? also where is it lol and what does it look like haha, im kinda new to older rotories
Old 08-08-09, 07:57 AM
Old Fart Young at Heart

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the accellerator pump was gone the carb would be leaking fuel all over from the rear driver's side of the carb. Download the FSM and factory carb manual from the link in my sig line, then check the following:

Sight level in both fuel bowl windows
Do the Accellerator pump jets squirt fuel when the pedal is pushed?
Check all vacuum hoses for leaks
Check the vac hoses that connect to the bottom of the air cleaner. There is a 3/8" vac hose that will kill the engine at idle if it's not connected.
Is the mix screw turned out 3-1/2 turns?

That should get you started. Be sure to read through the carb manual and learn all the parts. Makes diagnosing issues much easier when using the correct terms.
Old 08-08-09, 01:57 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

Originally Posted by trochoid
If the accellerator pump was gone the carb would be leaking fuel all over from the rear driver's side of the carb. Download the FSM and factory carb manual from the link in my sig line, then check the following:

Sight level in both fuel bowl windows
Do the Accellerator pump jets squirt fuel when the pedal is pushed?
Check all vacuum hoses for leaks
Check the vac hoses that connect to the bottom of the air cleaner. There is a 3/8" vac hose that will kill the engine at idle if it's not connected.
Is the mix screw turned out 3-1/2 turns?

That should get you started. Be sure to read through the carb manual and learn all the parts. Makes diagnosing issues much easier when using the correct terms.
well i know the carb isnt leaking and yes the jets do squirt gas when i press the gass peddle. can you tell me where that 3/8's hoes would be? and as far as i know there is no vacuum leaks
Old 08-11-09, 03:51 PM
1.3 liter piston eater

someone help!!
Old 08-12-09, 12:43 AM

Quick question: do you have to hold the choke **** all the time to keep it from dying (even when you're cruising down the highway at 3K RPM for example), or only at idle?

If it has to be held out all the time, you've probably got some really plugged jets causing it to run extremely lean. Could be a massive vacuum leak but if that were the case you'd have a heck of a time starting it too.

If it's only at idle that you need the choke pulled though, start by turning in the idle adjusting screw (not the mixture screw) until it does idle (even if it's at 2000 RPM). Then slowly start working back and see how low you can get it to idle without stalling. Then report back.
Old 08-12-09, 01:49 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

the carb is clogged up needs to be rebuilt. or you can buy a sterling or the RB holly setup. either way for a 100 bucks you cant complain it actually still runs. I had this problem once it was because the check ball and weight for the accelerator pump. had found its way into the carbs main body. would never come out again.