1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

RB Holley Fuel Pump question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RB Holley Fuel Pump question?

Hey fellas....and ladies (?),

So we're finally tackling my wifes SA build. She picked up a Racing Beat Holley set up and we are wondering what yous guys running holleys are using for a fuel pump. We have a stock 12a out of an 83. Car is for street driving only at this point. Will the stock pump be enough? If not who has suggestions? If we have to upgrade, where is a middle ground between quality and cost?

I searched the 1st gen forum for "holley" and "fuel pump" an turned up nil. If there are threads already here to answer for me please shoot me in the right direction.
Old 09-09-09, 07:54 PM
Retired First Sergeant

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
i have a mallory fuel pump on mine. works perfect
Old 09-09-09, 08:30 PM
common sense prevails....

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The problem with the stock fuel pump is it does not provide enough pressure. Holley carbs are designed to run with 5-6 psi. That is 5-6 psi constant say for at least a full 1/4 mile or 0-100 mph pass.

Holley blue fuel pumps are the old standby. Use it with the fuel pressure regulator that comes with it. Holley red will work also and you dont need a FP regulator. Problem I have seen with Holley fuel pumps, is they are noisy and I have had some lay down on me and fail.

I have had good results with Mallory fuel pumps. Quiet and reliable. Mallory 110 should work perfectly.

Also another quiet and reliable pump is the carter electric fuel pump.

Pretty much here are your options...just don't use stock....you will be disappointed.
Old 09-09-09, 10:26 PM
Bridge Port Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the comment about the Holley blue. I had one go on me on a cold day during a low voltage situation. IT CAUGHT FIRE !!! I was able to put it out. They have their place but I do not recomment for daily use.

In its defense I was able to salvage the pump section and replace the actual pump motor and it worked like a charm. But for a daily... go with the Mallory 110.
Old 09-10-09, 12:34 AM
The General RE

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Walbro EFI pump with return style regulator. No change in pressure and dead quiet.
Old 09-10-09, 03:03 AM
One Luv "Till The End"

holley blue with the regulator...It more then enough for the holley setup that you bought from racing beat
Old 09-10-09, 02:09 PM

Thanks guys.

How will the mallory hold up when i convince the wife to pop the motor so i can have it bridge ported? Will it feed enough? I haven't started looking into what would be involved in re-jetting the carb and oil system to support a bp. I just would like to be sure i don't end up having to buy another pump should we decided to do any kind of porting.
Old 09-10-09, 03:22 PM
RAWR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by herrafass
Thanks guys.

How will the mallory hold up when i convince the wife to pop the motor so i can have it bridge ported? Will it feed enough? I haven't started looking into what would be involved in re-jetting the carb and oil system to support a bp. I just would like to be sure i don't end up having to buy another pump should we decided to do any kind of porting.
You'll run into a flow issue with the RB carb on a BP, as it only flows 465cfm. You'll have to bump to a different carb, and at that point you may just want to go with a Weber IDA setup, or maybe a Dellorato if you can find a good setup.

I had a RB setup on my last FB. I had a Red pump w/ no regulator, then a Blue pump w/ regulator. Both worked well. Make sure if you get the Blue pump you pick up the high accuracy gauge from Billy at ReSpeed. I think it's +/- 1% for 0-10psi.

Do not listen to the person who said to run a EFI pump. Too much pressure. It will at minimum flood your car.
Old 09-10-09, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
He said EFI pump with a return style regulator. That will work fine as the excess is dumped back to the tank. You need the right kind of regulator for this and you need to make sure you have a good return line (clear of blockage and large enough) so that the regulator can do its job. If you do go with the EFI pump, you'll be covered if you ever decide to do a blowthru turbo or go to EFI. Typically this is what the blowthru carb guys do as a normal carb pump does not have enough pressure to cover the base carb fuel pressure + the boost.