3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Braided power steer lines and oil cooler lines - anyone done them?

Old 03-18-10, 02:21 AM
The wankel way!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braided power steer lines and oil cooler lines - anyone done them?

Im simplifying and tidying up everything in my race car and the next thing on the list is all the lines.

Im going to braided line for the power steering lines from the pump to the rack and want to know if anyone has done this before? Im after the thread sizes for the banjo bolt on the high pressure side of the pump and the flare thread size on the rack itself so I can order the fittings. - Anyone got these?

Also - has anyone gone to braided line for all the oil cooler lines while retaining the factory oil coolers? How did you go about attaching to the bottom of the coolers? there a massive thread and will need some sort of adapter fitting to attach an AN fitting to. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-10, 06:02 AM
I won't let go

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't comment on the PS as I did a manual conversion. As far as the oil coolers, I had -10 fittings welded on in place of the original ports.
Old 03-19-10, 05:41 PM
The wankel way!!

Ive managed to work out what is needed to do the oil coolers and have found a kit for the power steering side so will post the parts when I get it for interestes sake.

If anyones wanting to do the oil coolers (factory twin oil coolers on my FD) in -10 braided line, this is what I ordered

4x Steel -10 weld on fittings (oil coolers)
4x -10 straight fittings (oil coolers)
1x -10 120* fitting (oil pump)
1x -10 45* fitting (oil filter)
2x -10 to M18x1.5 Thread adapters
-10 Braided line x 3m (or 10 feet)
Old 03-19-10, 08:33 PM
GT3574R equipped

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the info, I may have to do it because of my new vmount. Please post pics of the end result.
Old 03-29-10, 05:44 PM
The wankel way!!

I have actully found that you can replace the whole oil cooler lines without welding anything at all if need be. The factory coolers have M22x1.5 threads in them so you could use 4 M22x1.5 to -10 adapters on the oil coolers them selves instead of welding the -10 weld ons to the coolers.

I will be running the lines this weekend so should have pics up next week.
Old 03-29-10, 07:15 PM
Snowboarding Whistler!

Interested in seeing your install pics!
Old 03-29-10, 10:27 PM
Wangan Junkie

nice i might end up doing the same thing i cant wait to see pics too!
Old 03-29-10, 10:43 PM
bow leggin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Name:  Rx-7001.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  165.1 KB

This is back when I considered making upgraded cooler lines for the stock coolers, test fitment
Old 03-30-10, 12:28 AM
Snowboarding Whistler!

Wow that looks great! exactly what I want!
Old 03-30-10, 04:36 AM
The wankel way!!

I remounted my coolers so they are in a better place in relation to the vents in my bumper and will be ducted to the bumper. I also started installing the fittings so pics will be up after the weekend.

Best part about doing this now is that swapping to aftermarket oil coolers later is soooooooo simple.
Old 04-02-10, 01:55 AM
The wankel way!!

Ran the oil cooler lines today. Still need to get some hose holders to mount them to the body and stop them distroying everything they touch, but you get the idea.

Make sure you can go full lock without the tyre rubbing on the lines.

Old 04-04-10, 03:39 AM
Snowboarding Whistler!

Going to do this as well looks great!

So other then the parts you listed below, did you find you needed anything else, would recommend anything different?

4 M22x1.5 to -10 adapters
Old 04-04-10, 07:22 AM
bow leggin'

Originally Posted by TURSTY
Best part about doing this now is that swapping to aftermarket oil coolers later is soooooooo simple.
Not really. Yes, you removed the stock lines which makes installing new coolers/lines easier. You'll still need to use different fittings on the hose. There are a lot of things you are not considering. The line running from the pedestal will need to be split and connected to an oil thermostat also.

I don't know about you, but I hate working with steel braided line.

Originally Posted by Fortune_Seven

You don't need that if you've already got M22 adapters. Did you even bother reading through this thread?
Old 04-04-10, 07:23 AM
The wankel way!!

Going to do this as well looks great!

So other then the parts you listed below, did you find you needed anything else, would recommend anything different?

4 M22x1.5 to -10 adapters
Yes I did.

Like I said above, I used M22x1.5 to -10 adapters in place of the weld on fittings so the oil coolers are undamaged. Using these however, you need to get 4 M22 copper washers, as the washers on the standard oil lines have a rubber center and dont seal. The copper washers off the standard banjo bolts for the oil pump and filter can be reused for the M18 to -10 fittings.

Also, as my oil coolers are remounted for my current bumper, you should check the straigh fittings off the oil coolers will still allow you to go full lock without the tyre hitting the braided lines. If they dont, go for 45* fittings instead of straight.

You'll also need some form of mounting for the hoses to the body, as the braid will wear through anything it touches. Its abrasive as h3ll.

EDIT: Oh and get another 2 feet of hose (12 feet total). Apparently I cant use a tape measure lol.
Old 04-04-10, 08:57 AM
Sua Sponte

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good. I also did this a while back, but it was because I have a different engine in my car and I like the stock oil coolers:
Name:  LS1FD130.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  LS1FD147.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  114.7 KB

Catch22 had a thread where he did this a month or two ago. I believe his was because he was adapting another driver's side oil cooler for the passenger side.
Old 04-04-10, 09:08 AM
Constant threat

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I like seeing these nicely done conversions. Very professional looking from everyone. Good job!
Old 04-05-10, 12:19 AM
Snowboarding Whistler!

Originally Posted by Scrub

You don't need that if you've already got M22 adapters. Did you even bother reading through this thread?
Well Scrub, I did read the entire thread, it should be obvious by my posts throughout, but apparently not to you. To clarify why don't you "bother" reading through this post.

So other then the parts you listed below, did you find you needed anything else?
As both fittings are options, dependant on wether you want to weld or not, I included them in the list.

The information I was after, was clearly the information TURSTY provided. The "did you find you needed anything else?" part of my post u must have missed.

But thanks for your help in any case!
Old 04-05-10, 06:16 AM
The wankel way!!

Hay one thing I have notised while remounting my intercooler and radiator, it that the location of the bottom radiator hose will play a part in whether you can use a 120* fitting for the oil pump, or if you would need a 180* one.
I am going to have to swap to a 180* fitting to clear the bottom hose.

I have never owned a stock RX7 (only ones with front mounts and aftermarket radiators) so I cant say if the list I have provided will work on a stock car. It would definitly pay to have a look at how much clearance you have. These lines will distroy anything they touch/rub against so make sure you have sufficient room.
Old 04-05-10, 08:27 AM
bow leggin'

Well Scrub, I did read the entire thread, it should be obvious by my posts throughout, but apparently not to you. To clarify why don't you "bother" reading through this post.

As both fittings are options, dependant on wether you want to weld or not, I included them in the list.

The information I was after, was clearly the information TURSTY provided. The "did you find you needed anything else?" part of my post u must have missed.

But thanks for your help in any case!
Read post #5 genius.
Old 04-05-10, 12:19 PM
Snowboarding Whistler!

I have captain lacking a grasp of the obvious. You don't have to weld to the coolers, we all know that, or u can! So! Not the conversation. But again you've been invaluable! Thanks for the great contribution!
Old 04-05-10, 12:45 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Just got done with this myself. I was able to find a new fitting that was a ton cheaper. Check page 5 of this thread. https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/dual-oil-coolers-cheap-633480/page5/
Old 04-05-10, 12:47 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Oh and mine was using a drivers side cooler.
Old 04-05-10, 01:40 PM
bow leggin'

Edit: Tursty, PM me when you're looking to go the aftermarket oil cooler route. I'll give you a break down of all the parts you'll need for the conversion. Also try using some adel clamps (reference 2nd pic memphis posted) to hold the lines in place if you find they're rubbing the wrong places

I have captain lacking a grasp of the obvious. You don't have to weld to the coolers, we all know that, or u can! So! Not the conversation. But again you've been invaluable! Thanks for the great contribution!
I was actually trying to help you initially but it's pretty obvious you're the smartest person alive. You listed both parts as being needed, I corrected you. Yes you CAN weld the fittings on but WHY would you? I'm done arguing with you, good luck with your build

Originally Posted by catch-22
Just got done with this myself. I was able to find a new fitting that was a ton cheaper. Check page 5 of this thread. https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=633480&page=5
Those are actually the same fittings I used when doing the test fitting, very nice quality and you don't need to use a crush washer or dowty seal.

Taken from the thread you posted....

Name:  IMG00006-20091113-1611.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 04-05-10, 04:42 PM
The wankel way!!

^^^ those look like the exact same fittings I used on my oil coolers, but they didnt come with a rubber o ring. Just shot down to the local fastners supplies and got M22 copper washers.

Ive mounted the lines using those same rubber lines clamps. Ill post pics once the 180* fitting has turned up and its all complete. =D
Old 04-17-10, 05:50 AM
The wankel way!!

Heres a few pics of the finished lines

I used Rivnuts and the hose holders to keep the lines from rubbing on things, and anywhere they touched, I just covered the braid in wireing wrap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braided power steer lines and oil cooler lines - anyone done them?