1st Gen General Discussion The place for non-technical discussion about 1st Gen RX-7s or if there's no better place for your topic

Pilot bearing vs. Pilot bearing removal techniques

Old 04-05-10, 06:34 PM
Kid

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilot bearing vs. Pilot bearing removal techniques

And the winner is the Pilot bearing!!! After spending 3 hours this afternoon of using various techniques to remove a pilot bearing, I have given up. The pilot bearing won, and left me with various gashes in my hands. I even used a pilot bearing removal tool, and that didn't work! But it was only a 2 prong, and not a Mazdatrix 3-prong. Everytime I use the removal tool, it breaks the edges on the pilot bearing, so I gave up because I didn't want to destroy the bearing. I was able to get the seal out, and the inside of the pilot bearing out, but not the bearing itself. Any tips on how to remove this beast would be a great help. I would buy the Mazdatrix tool, but funds aren't allowing that now.
Old 04-05-10, 09:27 PM
Wrkn Toyota, Rootn Wankel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got it out with just a regular two prong pilot bearing tool. Don't be afraid to **** up the bearing race as long as you don't **** up the shaft. I mean you're replacing it anyways.
Old 04-05-10, 09:29 PM
Environmentally-Hostile

I'll try to find my mazdatrix bearing puller. I'll mail it to you if you pay shipping and under the condition that you mail it back

It seriously took 1 minute once I got it.
Old 04-06-10, 12:22 AM

Received 256 Likes on 237 Posts
i had the same problem on a friends car i was replacing the pilot bearing on. all the needles had came out so all that was left was the bearing race. it isn't bottomed out in the shaft. get deeper in the hole with the tool and grab it on the far side. that's how i got it out. and the one i used was only 2 prong, rented from advance.
Old 04-06-10, 01:34 AM
Have RX-7, will restore

Received 1,048 Likes on 888 Posts
i tried the aftermarket pullers and out of frustration i bought the oem mazda puller. one of the best tool investments i have ever made. i highly reccomend buying one if you plan on owning an RX-7. do not waste your time with the aftermarket pullers.

Old 04-06-10, 05:52 AM
Kid

Originally Posted by rxtasy3
i had the same problem on a friends car i was replacing the pilot bearing on. all the needles had came out so all that was left was the bearing race. it isn't bottomed out in the shaft. get deeper in the hole with the tool and grab it on the far side. that's how i got it out. and the one i used was only 2 prong, rented from advance.
It seems like there is something on the far side preventing me from grabbing it on that side. I will work on it later today and try to get it on the far side.
Old 04-06-10, 05:53 AM
Kid

Originally Posted by Starfox07
I'll try to find my mazdatrix bearing puller. I'll mail it to you if you pay shipping and under the condition that you mail it back

It seriously took 1 minute once I got it.
I might have to take you up on that offer. If I can't get it out after today and tomorrow, I will PM you. Thank you a lot.
Old 04-06-10, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry I haven't got a pic for you yet. Been busy.

Here is what you do:

Take new pilot bearing to hardware store and find a washer with an OD that matches the OD of the pilot. The washer that I use (pretty sure it is a standard size) matches the pilot bearing OD almost perfectly.

Get a bolt that is about 3" long that is a size or two smaller than the washer you found. For instance, if the washer is made for a 3/8" bolt, get a 1/4" bolt instead. You want the hole big enough so that you have enough slop to line everything up. The nut that matches this bolt just needs to be big enough to not fit through the hole in the washer.

Tip: In the ~3" long bolt, try to get one that this threaded all the way up the shaft.

So, now you should have a nut, bolt, and washer. Now, you have to modify the washer with a bench grinder. Grind two sides of the washer so that the width of the washer is less than the ID of the pilot bearing. Something like this:
.___
(_()_)

Now put the nut through the pilot bearing and then the washer (install flat and tip up into place. Line up the hole of the washer with the hole of the nut (this is where having the bolt/nut smaller than the washer size really helps out). Now start screwing the bolt into the nut. You may have to push while turning to keep the nut from just spinning. One it is started, the bolt will start to push against the eshaft and the tension will now keep the nut from spinning. Just keep tightening the bolt and the pilot bearing will come right out.

It may sound a little complicated in words, but it is actually really simple. Costs less than $1 to make (free if you have a good bucket of bolts/washers laying around). This way is probably just about as fast as the OEM puller and will get out even really stuck bearings.

If you don't have access to a bench grinder to modify the washer, pm me your address and I'll drop mine in the mail to you tomorrow morning.

Kent

Last edited by gsl-se addict; 04-06-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 11:22 AM
Kid

Oooo. I see how that works, if I am not able to get the bearing out with the removal tool this afternoon I will make one of these. I have a bench grinder, but thank you for offering to let me use yours. Thank you a lot for the guide on how to make one of these.
Old 04-06-10, 03:29 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I also tried a puller from Autozone, but it was just too big/thick to fit in properly. After a couple of hours, I gave up and took the dremel to it. That worked fine.
Old 04-06-10, 05:13 PM
Kid

So this afternoon I tried the 2-prong Snap-On puller, and it failed. I then tried the washer method described above by addict, and I bent 2 washers, so I've come to the conclusion, that the bearing is in there pretty darn good. So it looks like I'm going to bring out the dremel! Time to tear this sucker to pieces. Thanks for all the tips though guys, I'm sure this thread will help other people trying to remove a pilot bearing.
Old 04-06-10, 06:33 PM
Environmentally-Hostile

I'm guessing, like mine, its just the outer bearing race that's seized on to the E-shaft?
Old 04-06-10, 07:51 PM
Kid

I'm not sure if it is seized or not, how would you tell if it is seized?
Old 04-06-10, 08:40 PM
Wrkn Toyota, Rootn Wankel

Originally Posted by food7373
I'm not sure if it is seized or not, how would you tell if it is seized?
If it doesn't budge after everything you've done... I'd guess its seized.
Old 04-07-10, 04:58 AM
Have RX-7, will restore

do not dremel it!! you will RUIN the eccentric shaft if you mess up the slightest bit!!!! get the correct tool or keep trying. you'll regret the day you used a dremel on a pilot bearing.
Old 04-07-10, 05:55 AM
Kid

Hmm, I thought about that a little bit. I've heard of other people who've dremeled though. I'm just really getting frustrated. I talked to my one uncle the other day who works down the road at a shop, and he said dremeling would be good idea since it's in there so bad. Is there any other techniques I could use to get it out?
Old 04-07-10, 10:02 AM
Have RX-7, will restore

the really stuck ones come right out with the mazda removal tool. maybe someone in your area has one you can borrow. how far from ohio are you?
Old 04-07-10, 12:12 PM
Kid

Pretty far, I'm on the eastern side of PA, too bad I'm not near you.
Old 04-07-10, 12:27 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OEM puller tool makes it a 10 min job. I had a bitch of a time with it and just ended up buying the $110 tool.
Old 04-07-10, 06:42 PM
Kid

I'm really considering of buying one, haha. I will ask around a little more and see if anyone around here has one, if not, we will see what happens.
Old 04-07-10, 07:23 PM
My job is to blow **** up

i had one from harbor frieght that fit like the OEM tool, but i had to weld to nuts togather to attach a slide hammer. i've also used bolts cut down all sides but one, leaving a lip to grip, but it can be a bitch.
Old 04-07-10, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a bitch of a time getting mine out a couple months ago. I tried the grease. I tried making my own tool. Nothing worked. I eventually found a place that sold a cheap ($24) three prong bearing removal tool. I had to file down the ends of the prongs a bit to enable a good grab on the bearing race but it eventually worked.

One tip for you. I had previously removed all the needles so I was able to position the jaws of the puller on the lip of the race that is closest to the opening (so not all the way to the back of the hole). For some reason it kept slipping off when I tried to get a hold of the far end of the race.

Good luck. I feel the pain.
Old 04-08-10, 05:54 AM
Kid

Thanks man, I've tried getting it on the on the lip, but everytime I did that, it kept busting up the lip.