New Member RX-7 Technical Post your first technical questions here, in an easy flame free environment, before jumping into the main technical sections.

low oil pressure, running rich, oil leak....

Old 06-23-10, 07:12 PM
KC_RX7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low oil pressure, running rich, oil leak....

ok so recently bought a 94 rx7 touring and i knew it had a slipping clutch and running rich when i bought it. i have discovered a leak that is located directly below dead center of the engine bay. and after warming up my car i sit at about 25-30 psi on oil pressure. at higher rpms it drops down to about 5 psi. and sometimes travels back up to 30. now i know it is low but i cant figure out why. the slipping clutch is easy to handle but the running rich part and the low oil pressure and the leak are things i cant figure out on my own. any input would be awesome thanks guys.
Old 06-24-10, 07:06 AM

Received 305 Likes on 265 Posts
welcome to the board.

first, i'm just curious as to how you've determined you're running rich? is the car modified at all?

second, i'd suggest getting a Factory Service Manual so you can check the wiring associated with the gauge. what you describe sounds more inline with a problem with the sender/gauge than an actual oil pressure problem. that said, how bad is this leak you mentioned? where exactly is it located? (your description is too vague).
Old 06-24-10, 09:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
FD oil pressure senders often go bad or lose the quality of the electrical contact. I suggest you try cleaning the electrical plug and see if that fixes it. If not, then you can replace it. Aftermarket oil pressure gauges are favored by some owners.

In any case it's highly unlikely you actually have low oil pressure.

You'll have to do your homework to understand the oil leak. That said, oil pan leaks are very common on FDs and there are numerous discussions about the best ways to seal the oil pan. You can find some in the FAQ and 3rd gen forum.
Old 07-06-10, 02:05 PM
KC_RX7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA modified not really

ok the only mods i have done are an act street/strip clutch, apexi power intake, and apexi n1 exhaust. i have aftermarket air/fuel gauge, boost gauge, and water temp gauge(water temp gauge doesnt work properly). but i found out after a compression check that it still has good compression so they suggested the oil pressure sending unit. i have a leak from my oil pan. and turbo oil feed lines.