2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Godspeed Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 08:38 PM
Hiroshima Built

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NV Godspeed Coilovers?

http://www.godspeedproject.com/store...fskkelasro0s26

was looking at these coilovers, price seems sweet but almost too sweet..
Anyone have any reviews on these?
Old 08-13-11, 09:14 PM
version 2.0

The only thing I would trust from Chinaspeed are the heat exchangers. It's pretty hard to mess up welds, it's pretty easy to make shitty shocks.

Edit.... it's pretty easy to make shitty welds too i guess.
Old 08-13-11, 09:16 PM
Hiroshima Built

chinaspeed? lol are they known for cheap stuff? never heard much about them..
Old 08-13-11, 09:20 PM
Turbo power, activate!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldnt trust their shocks for ****.

Their radiators and intercoolers are good.

If you just want to lower the car, I guess its fine. If you want to have some kind of performance setup suspension wise, performance shocks from KYB, Tokico, or Koni with springs is way better.
Old 08-13-11, 11:09 PM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
It's cheap Chinese stuff that will lower your car and gives you the ability to tell everybody that you have coilovers. If that is your goal, then they should work just fine. I am not aware of any problems with them when driving on the street.

Assuming that you have a street-driven car, I think you are better off with the more typical Tokico or KYB replacement dampers and a good set of performance springs, as is sold by Racing Beat and Mazdatrix. If you want a real race setup, then I recommend the Ground Control or Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development Stage II kit with Koni coilovers and Eibach ERS springs, or the ISC Racing coilover kit with Bilstein dampers. Note that all coilovers require professional tuning and corner-weighting to ensure safe and optimal performance.
Old 08-14-11, 12:17 AM
Hiroshima Built

well my 88 vert is a daily driver, but is also hopefully gonna see some track time next summer. (nothing fancy maybe just time attack on a road coarse just for fun)

its already on some tanabe springs with blown struts all the way around.. i didnt wanna spend money on nice shocks just for them to blow again like a lot of people said they would. also for nice shocks would run almost as much as those coilovers probably so i was just throwing it out there. I also want to dump my car super low to the ground cuz i think fc's look badass slammed. are there any low priced coilovers that may last and do what i want them to do or should i just keep an eye out for a good set of used ones on here?
Old 08-14-11, 01:19 AM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Steves13b
well my 88 vert is a daily driver, but is also hopefully gonna see some track time next summer. (nothing fancy maybe just time attack on a road coarse just for fun)
Coilovers are not well-suited for that situation.

its already on some tanabe springs with blown struts all the way around.. i didnt wanna spend money on nice shocks just for them to blow again like a lot of people said they would.
If people said they would blow then they were not nice shocks. Tokico has a limited lifetime warranty on new shocks as long as they are installed correctly and you don't use them for racing (coilovers).

I also want to dump my car super low to the ground cuz i think fc's look badass slammed. are there any low priced coilovers that may last and do what i want them to do or should i just keep an eye out for a good set of used ones on here?
You want cheap suspension that slams your car, works well on the street, and has race-level performance on the track. Not gonna happen.

Here are your choices:
1) Cheap suspension that slams your car but handles like crap.
2) Cheap suspension that lowers your car a little bit and handles well for street, autocross, and light track use.
3) Mid-priced suspension that lowers your car a little bit and handles well on the track but is very stiff on the street.

I would recommend #2 for convertibles. For example, I put KYB AGX dampers and Racing Beat springs on my convertible. If you are concerned about the warranty, then Tokico HP dampers would probably be a better choice. The Tokico Illumina rear dampers are difficult to adjust on a convertible that does not have a stripped interior.
Old 08-14-11, 02:12 AM
Hiroshima Built

well its just what i have read on the forums before when people talk up there coil-overs saying lowering springs always blow any type of shock..
i will probably go with # 2 then.. and my interior is stripped behind the seats so no problems there..

i saw those kyb agx shocks are priced reasonable at summit which is a 20 minute drive from me. those struts can get decently stiff then?
how would you rate the tanabe gf210 lowering springs?

btw warranty? pretty sure mine expired in like 1990 probably 10 owners ago lol..

Last edited by Steves13b; 08-14-11 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-14-11, 03:12 AM
Slowpoke

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You asked about coilovers, and people are stirring you away, that isnt what you asked for.

Generally if your a younger guy, you can handle them, otherwise older crowd says they are too stiff for them. lol
Get coilovers dude, those guys never tried them , just the typical thought that they are track only. Millions of people rock coilovers on street just fine. Coilovers and spring/shocks difference is like night and day. When it comes to coilover talk, you will get opinions from people who never tried them or have no experience with them. You get plenty of adjustments with coilovers, and basically new pillow ball mounts with front camber plate.

megan racing is decent on a budget. They been out for a few years now and still around. Got them on my car and great for daily driving. ALot of 240sx guys rock them too. Tho these are not my preferred brand if I was on the market for some (they came on my car).

Im not a fan of ksport coilovers, Had a buddy blow 1 of them out on his lexus LS400, but they where cool to send him a replacement shock for it.

Can't go wrong with Tein, I had used Tein coilovers , steering arm, tie rods, tension rods in my old 240sx. Great japanese quality products and you can always have them service the coilovers, they can rebuild them for you at a charge.

Stance is another popular brand with guys on here, hear nothing but good stuff about them http://stance-usa.com/sus/products

I am personally wanting to switch my megans for a new set of Powered By Max coilovers, they are pretty stiff for some people though
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?9
These also adjust front caster btw
Old 08-14-11, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
entry level coilovers are great for the price especially since most are fully height/damper adjustable and some even have camber plates included. i mean some people pay up to 700-800 for shocks/springs combo when you can pay a little more (900-1000) for a decent coilover setup with full adjustability.

Powered by Max coilovers are at the 1000 price range, and as said above, Stance are great too, but a bit more pricey (~1200 i think). I dont know much about Godspeed products, but the 700 price range is not as "Cheap" as some may assume...

as for those who are talking about them being "Chinese" products...maybe they are made in China but does that automatically mean they will fall apart when used? Its not like a poorly designed/made in USA product will do any better if its poorly assembled with cheap materials...
Old 08-14-11, 09:17 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

honestly coilovers are pretty good for the street. I have not had them on my 7 YET. but i did have a set of Ksports on my Bmw and loved them. no problems. ride was stiffer than stock but was still comfortable enough to drive on long trips. That was on soft setting. hard setting was great very stiff. the reason i went with them was because they were fairly priced and heard good things about them. i didnt want a $1500 suspension for a car i wouldnt track. Truly in most cases its just user preference. I dont think there is really a right or wrong on coilovers or springs mainly just what each person like.

As far as cheap coilovers. i personally wouldnt get a set of NEW cheap coilovers (unless namebrand hehe) but a friend of mine did buy some coilovers for his 240 for about $500 and they lasted him forever and handle great. thats just my nickels worth of opinion.
Old 08-14-11, 12:26 PM
version 2.0

Originally Posted by CALPICO
as for those who are talking about them being "Chinese" products...maybe they are made in China but does that automatically mean they will fall apart when used? Its not like a poorly designed/made in USA product will do any better if its poorly assembled with cheap materials...

I could give two craps about where it is made, China, Japan, USA, Indonesia, if it's crap, it's crap! I've got a Chinaspeed radiator, actually. I love it. I bought it after reading many reviews about it, it looks solid, has worked well and I hope it doesn't fall apart. "Chinese" products can be a great way to save money, but you need to be weary about what you buy, why? Because it's known to be cheap crap a lot of the time.

For a little more money you can get a little more piece of mind, cooler stickers and maybe even a warranty.
Old 08-14-11, 03:41 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

It's "peace of mind" not piece.
Old 08-14-11, 04:44 PM
version 2.0

Nice catch...
Old 08-14-11, 05:13 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Haha

I agree with you, although I know nothing about Godspeed coilovers. I'd rather wait until someone has some real life experiences with them before I'd buy a set. I'll let someone else risk their safety and the safety of others first.
Old 08-14-11, 07:55 PM
Hiroshima Built

wow hypertek those powered by max coilovers look nice and the price seems really fair. curious as to when you might get those and what will happen to your megan coilovers? anything wrong with them?

thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 08-16-11, 11:36 AM

dont get them. i have a friend with them and i have some first gen jic's which are older then dinosaurs and they still are better than the cheapspeeds!
Old 08-16-11, 10:35 PM
Hiroshima Built

this may be a dumb question but once i get coilovers can i still benefit from aftermarket sway bars?
Old 08-16-11, 10:56 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Look up Rishie at AutoRnD! I just bought some stuff from him, including some Stance coilovers and he gave me the best price by far for them!
Old 08-16-11, 11:06 PM
Slowpoke

wow hypertek those powered by max coilovers look nice and the price seems really fair. curious as to when you might get those and what will happen to your megan coilovers? anything wrong with them?

thanks for all the input everyone!
Only thing about those powered by max coilovers is they have stiff springs, 10k front 8k rear. But you can get a pair of their 6k springs and throw those on the rear and the 8k to the front if the kit supplied springs are too stiff . As far as their reputation, they are a pretty reputable company in the 240sx crowd. One of the guy's from there always posts up in this zilvia thread http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/296725...on-thread.html

Cant get to the track enough to really enjoy our famous competition coilovers? For maximum comfort on your super low daily driver, we have just the thing for you!

MAX 6 KG springs FOR COMP COILOVERS ONLY $60.00

MAX coilovers come with 10KG front & 8KG rear springs so if you wnat to run 8KG front, and 6KG rear, just take the 8KG off the rear and put them on the front, and then run the new 6KG pair in the back.
Nothing wrong with my megans, they are more then enough for what I do with them on the street. I kind of desire a different brand. Brands are a big deal to me. I got some other priorities first like finishing my engine rebuild before I really get serious about looking at other coilovers, but If I was on the market, the powered by max (or PBM for short, or sometimes called PSM for Parts Shop Max) would be what I would go for.
Old 08-16-11, 11:21 PM

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,823 Posts
is $1000 for a set of ebay/megan/goodspeed coil overs a good deal? lets look

the coil over hardware is all standard stuff, you can buy it from any number or racecar suppliers, coleman, ground control, etc etc etc etc etc $100

the springs. springs are springs. springs are cheap. even top shelf matched rate pairs from a name brand like hypercoil are only $60. so $240

shocks. any racer will tell you the shocks are the MOST IMPORTANT part or the suspension. they are responsible for controlling the body movements, AND how fast the suspension reacts. its also KEY for building a car that the driver FEELS confident in.

with these low level parts, do we know how good the shock is? can we find out with out buying them and taking em to a shock dyno ourselves? can we replace one of something bad happens?

we have $660 left on our $1000 budget, AGX's actually CHEAPER or we could buy bilsteins for $600, or for another $200 we could be on Koni's. which are all name brand, we know the shock force, quality parts! again, they are available from summit, or any number of places, hell mazda even stocks them!

for $1000 why be on Ebay stuff when you could be on something WAY WAY better?

i can't believe it saved that ALL DAY
Old 08-17-11, 12:36 AM
Hiroshima Built

[QUOTE=Hypertek;10750089]Only thing about those powered by max coilovers is they have stiff springs, 10k front 8k rear. But you can get a pair of their 6k springs and throw those on the rear and the 8k to the front if the kit supplied springs are too stiff .

for my daily driving i really dont mind a stiff suspension as i am young and every bounce will remind me that i spent a lot of money on some badass coilovers lol.
however maybe you can put into perspective for me how stiff/uncomfortable the car will be with the 10k and 8k compared to the 8k and 6k on the street?
Old 08-17-11, 12:46 AM
Hiroshima Built

Originally Posted by j9fd3s
is $1000 for a set of ebay/megan/goodspeed coil overs a good deal? lets look

the coil over hardware is all standard stuff, you can buy it from any number or racecar suppliers, coleman, ground control, etc etc etc etc etc $100

the springs. springs are springs. springs are cheap. even top shelf matched rate pairs from a name brand like hypercoil are only $60. so $240

shocks. any racer will tell you the shocks are the MOST IMPORTANT part or the suspension. they are responsible for controlling the body movements, AND how fast the suspension reacts. its also KEY for building a car that the driver FEELS confident in.

with these low level parts, do we know how good the shock is? can we find out with out buying them and taking em to a shock dyno ourselves? can we replace one of something bad happens?

we have $660 left on our $1000 budget, AGX's actually CHEAPER or we could buy bilsteins for $600, or for another $200 we could be on Koni's. which are all name brand, we know the shock force, quality parts! again, they are available from summit, or any number of places, hell mazda even stocks them!

for $1000 why be on Ebay stuff when you could be on something WAY WAY better?

i can't believe it saved that ALL DAY
i think i guestimated that the agx struts shipped from summit or whomever is gonna run $500. i also want my front end lower so i would have to spend another 200 bones on the racing beat rubber lowering mounts(dont remember what they are called) to get my suspension close to where i want it and that is where it will be for good.. Or spend an extra couple hundred scrilla on some badass pbm coilovers and be fully adjustable and be able to sa i have coilovers.. also i was told coilovers should last way longer then struts anyways.. but i may be off base..
I do appreciate the input tho but i think i am currently leaning to coilovers.

and my question got skipped, after coilovers installed will i still benefit from aftermarket sway bars?
Old 08-17-11, 02:07 AM
Slowpoke

Im against piecing together a shock/strut combo. You have to do homework on the dampers and spring rates. You can not properly lower the car without affecting the strut travel, and potential to blow them out at a low ride hight. Typically you would want to fix the coilover sleeve to the strut somehow so it doesnt rattle around in place, you cant get it welded to the strut, thats out of the question for most.

alot of guys remove the rear sway bar
http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=7676.0

Im running no rear sway bar, dtss eliminators, tcsportline rear camber link, mazdatrix angle kit up front.

Seriously, people make coilovers out to be the devil... even megan and godspeed track their own coilovers and put them up to the test. Im not saying they compare to Teins, but Tein is one of the bigger companies who pushes thier products on race cars.
Old 08-17-11, 02:22 AM
DILLIGAF

^have you even slid that car yourself?

godspeeds are alright for the price. if your planning to daily them, their not that bad as far as comfort goes. if you can, save up for something better. they wont break or anything (dont believe this **** from the other folks above).

i mean i put these coilovers through hell and theyre still kicking and no leakage. i just wish theres more adjustability and stiffer springs but hey you get what you pay for.