Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Oil pressure drop on corner exit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil pressure drop on corner exit

Was out testing on the weekend and noticed that my oil pressure drops from normal 7ish bar pressure to 2 bar after really high g corners for a split second and then comes back to regular operating pressure.

I'm running the racing beat pan baffle, oil was not low.

Should I be worried about this? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Andrew.
Old 05-04-12, 05:17 PM
Trackstar motorsport

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andoru
Was out testing on the weekend and noticed that my oil pressure drops from normal 7ish bar pressure to 2 bar after really high g corners for a split second and then comes back to regular operating pressure.

I'm running the racing beat pan baffle, oil was not low.

Should I be worried about this? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Andrew.
A 70psi drop in oil pressure is bad on high speed cornering but there are things to look for. Does the oil pan have a windage tray? Do you have a high flow oil pump? Have you tried to run an accusump?
Old 05-04-12, 05:29 PM
www.lms-efi.com

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by 97SupraTwinTurbo
Does the oil pan have a windage tray?

Love when the piston guys chime in!

Obviously, even with the baffle plate you're uncovering the pickup. Only way to explain pressure drop that only happens during cornering. Accusump may help but it's a bandaid IMO.

Got specifics on the car? Dual purpose, track day, purpose built to a rule set? The baffle plate usually works well enough for most racing applications. The best solution would be a dry sump, but it's big money to throw at dual purpose car and not legal for many racing classes.
Old 05-05-12, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by C. Ludwig
Love when the piston guys chime in!

Obviously, even with the baffle plate you're uncovering the pickup. Only way to explain pressure drop that only happens during cornering. Accusump may help but it's a bandaid IMO.

Got specifics on the car? Dual purpose, track day, purpose built to a rule set? The baffle plate usually works well enough for most racing applications. The best solution would be a dry sump, but it's big money to throw at dual purpose car and not legal for many racing classes.
Cars purpose built race car for time attack. Trying to avoid going to a drysump system because it's big money.

I'm wondering if the split second drop is much to worry about. I'm going to try over filling the oil a touch at the next event and see what happens, other than that I'm going to have to do something with the oil pickup/pan.

Andrew.
Old 05-05-12, 12:45 PM
www.lms-efi.com

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts
Over filling by a half quart or so is pretty standard. As long as you're not sloshing it out the PCV holes at the top of the fill neck you'll be ok.
Old 05-05-12, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by C. Ludwig
Over filling by a half quart or so is pretty standard. As long as you're not sloshing it out the PCV holes at the top of the fill neck you'll be ok.
I think I'm going to drop the pan this week and fabricate a trap door baffle system around the oil pickup in the pan. Similar to this:

http://www.reganrotaryracing.com/fdoilpan.htm

Andrew
Old 05-06-12, 08:24 AM

I think a trap door setup or if possible a swinging pickup would work great. As for the accusump. I'd run it. Bandaid or not it will save your engine.
Old 05-15-12, 05:18 PM
Trackstar motorsport

Originally Posted by Andoru
I think I'm going to drop the pan this week and fabricate a trap door baffle system around the oil pickup in the pan. Similar to this:

http://www.reganrotaryracing.com/fdoilpan.htm

Andrew
Wait, an oil pan battle aka windage tray CAN be installed on a rotary engine??? Did you see that Ludwig?
Old 05-15-12, 05:31 PM
No Glory

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 97SupraTwinTurbo
Wait, an oil pan battle aka windage tray CAN be installed on a rotary engine??? Did you see that Ludwig?
oil pan baffle is not aka windage tray, they are 2 different things with different functions